Australian OGTR Receives Application for Field Trial of GM Perennial RyegrassSeptember 21, 2022
Australia's Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) has received license application DIR 194 from Grasslanz Technology Australia to conduct a field trial of genetically modified (GM) perennial ryegrass with increased metabolizable energy content.
The field trial is proposed to take place between April 2023 and December 2028 with a maximum area of 2.5 hectares per year, and up to 12.5 hectares in total over the duration of the trial. Seven trial sites would be used per year, chosen from 119 local government areas in New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, and Queensland.
The GM perennial ryegrass grown in the field trial would not be used for commercial animal feed. However, animal feeding trials may be undertaken with silage produced from the GM perennial ryegrass. The OGTR is now preparing a Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan for the application, expected to be released for public comment and advice from experts, agencies, and authorities in late November 2022.
You might also like:
- Researchers Identify Key Herbicide Resistance Gene in Ryegrass
- NZ's Environmentally Sustainable Ryegrass for Livestock Makes Steady Progress in the Field
- NZ Scientists Develop GE Ryegrass for Healthier Animals
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Asian Regional Workshop on Current and Upcoming Items under the CBD and its Protocols
- What do you think of this newsletter?
- GM Yeast Produces Intense Aromas in Beer
- Australian OGTR Receives Application for Field Trial of GM Perennial Ryegrass
- Beliefs in Conspiracy Theories About GMOs Can Be Corrected Using the Right Information
- 8th Plant Genomics & Gene Editing Congress Asia
- Animal Biotechnology Opportunities and Regulations in the Philippines
- India's GEAC Approves Field Trials of GM Cotton and Maize
- Indonesia Opts for GM Soybean to Increase National Production
- Researchers Enhance Soybean Phytophthora Resistance Without Growth Penalty
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: