India's GEAC Approves Field Trials of GM Cotton and MaizeSeptember 21, 2022
The confined field trials of genetically modified (GM) herbicide tolerant cotton and maize in India have been approved by the states of Haryana and Karnataka and by the Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) under the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC).
Following receipt of the No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Governments of Haryana and Karnataka, the GEAC cleared the proposals submitted by Rallis India Limited to conduct BRL-1 (1st and 2nd year) field trials of two GM stacked cotton (MLS2154 x MLS4301x MLS2531 and MLS2154 x MLS4301) to evaluate resistance against Helicoverpa armigera and Spodoptera litura and tolerance to glyphosate, and GM stacked maize MLS10101 x MLS13621 to evaluate resistance against S. frugiperda and tolerance to glyphosate during 2022-23 and 2023-24 at two trial locations amongst the proposed sites, namely, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka; University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur, Karnataka; and Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, Haryana per year was recommended by the committee subject to a number of conditions.
The Review Committee on Genetic Manipulation (RCGM) may issue the permit letters and monitor confined field trials to ensure compliance with prescribed terms and conditions.
For more details, download and read the agenda items in the minutes of the 145th meeting of GEAC on the GEAC website.
You might also like:
- India Exempts Genome-Edited Plants from Biosafety Assessment
- Groups Push for Bt Brinjal Field Trials in India
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends: India
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Asian Regional Workshop on Current and Upcoming Items under the CBD and its Protocols
- What do you think of this newsletter?
- GM Yeast Produces Intense Aromas in Beer
- Australian OGTR Receives Application for Field Trial of GM Perennial Ryegrass
- Beliefs in Conspiracy Theories About GMOs Can Be Corrected Using the Right Information
- 8th Plant Genomics & Gene Editing Congress Asia
- Animal Biotechnology Opportunities and Regulations in the Philippines
- India's GEAC Approves Field Trials of GM Cotton and Maize
- Indonesia Opts for GM Soybean to Increase National Production
- Researchers Enhance Soybean Phytophthora Resistance Without Growth Penalty
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: