Global Initiative for Food and Ag PolicyMay 6, 2011
A new initiative called AGree was launched by eight foundations to address global food and agriculture policy issues.
"Agriculture issues need to be at the top of the United States' and world's agenda, alongside energy, healthcare, and national security," said Dan Glickman, former secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture under President Bill Clinton. "AGree will elevate the agriculture and food policy conversation. We will make it clear to leaders and policymakers that, while difficult, solving food and agriculture issues is of utmost importance and can help solve other pressing problems including public health and the need for economic growth," he said.
AGree will initiate cross-sector dialogue, research, and analysis that will guide policy makers and stakeholders. It is funded by Ford Foundation, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, W.K. Kellogg Foundation, The McKnight Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, and The Walton Family Foundation.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Initiative for Food and Ag Policy
- Need to Address Issues Regarding Benefit Sharing in ITPGRFA
- Restoration Seed Banks Proposed
- Seed Conditioning Facility in South Africa
- Soybean and Sunflower in Ethiopia?
- Biotech Crops in South Africa
- Atlantic Food Summit Panel Highlights Biotechnology
- Delivering Nutritionally Enhanced Sorghum to Africa
- Formidable Fungal Force Counters Biofuel Plant Pathogens
- Improving Wheat and Durum Varieties for Western Canadian Farmers
- One Corn Gene Provides Resistance to Multiple Diseases
- Selaginella Genome Sequence Maybe Key to Plant Evolutionary Puzzle
- Scientists Conclude Origin of Rice
- Plants Duplicate Chromosomes to Adapt
- ISAAA Publishes "Bt Cotton in India: A Multipurpose Crop"
- China Launches Agri-Science and Technology Program
- CAU-Purdue Research Collaboration Forged
- Filipino Farmers and Key Stakeholders Participate in Biotech Communication Workshop
- Filipino Farmers Ratify Resolution Supporting Bt Eggplant Trials
- INRA's Metaprogrammes for Global Agronomic Research
- QTL Mapping for Resistance to 1st and 2nd Generation of European Corn Borer
- Transgenic Production of Arachidonic Acid in Oilseeds
- Distribution of Genes Controlling Fruit Shape in the Tomato Germplasm and the Relationship to Fruit Shape Diversity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- GM Mosquitoes to Combat Malaria
- Japanese Scientists Engineer Retina
- France – Annual Conference of the National Federation of Farmers
- International Conference on Agricultural, Biosystems, Biotechnology and Biological Engineering
- PBS Publication on Biosafety
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (October 4, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: