Restoration Seed Banks ProposedMay 6, 2011
A restoration seed bank is needed to manage and achieve global conservation goals. This is a facility that "looks beyond the core skills of collection and storage of germplasm to rigorous science-based restoration-use of germplasm, seed farming, training, and information dissemination." This was forwarded by David Merritt and Kingsley Dixon of the Kings Park and Botanic Garden, and the University of Western Australia, respectively, in their paper Restoration Seed Banks—A Matter of Scale published in the journal Science.
The authors suggest a "shift from being 'stamp-collections' of species to collections that can deliver restoration-ready seeds at the scale of a metric ton and larger." Communities and industry must be linked to carry out these functions.
Check out http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6028/424.summary for more information.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Initiative for Food and Ag Policy
- Need to Address Issues Regarding Benefit Sharing in ITPGRFA
- Restoration Seed Banks Proposed
- Seed Conditioning Facility in South Africa
- Soybean and Sunflower in Ethiopia?
- Biotech Crops in South Africa
- Atlantic Food Summit Panel Highlights Biotechnology
- Delivering Nutritionally Enhanced Sorghum to Africa
- Formidable Fungal Force Counters Biofuel Plant Pathogens
- Improving Wheat and Durum Varieties for Western Canadian Farmers
- One Corn Gene Provides Resistance to Multiple Diseases
- Selaginella Genome Sequence Maybe Key to Plant Evolutionary Puzzle
- Scientists Conclude Origin of Rice
- Plants Duplicate Chromosomes to Adapt
- ISAAA Publishes "Bt Cotton in India: A Multipurpose Crop"
- China Launches Agri-Science and Technology Program
- CAU-Purdue Research Collaboration Forged
- Filipino Farmers and Key Stakeholders Participate in Biotech Communication Workshop
- Filipino Farmers Ratify Resolution Supporting Bt Eggplant Trials
- INRA's Metaprogrammes for Global Agronomic Research
- QTL Mapping for Resistance to 1st and 2nd Generation of European Corn Borer
- Transgenic Production of Arachidonic Acid in Oilseeds
- Distribution of Genes Controlling Fruit Shape in the Tomato Germplasm and the Relationship to Fruit Shape Diversity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- GM Mosquitoes to Combat Malaria
- Japanese Scientists Engineer Retina
- France – Annual Conference of the National Federation of Farmers
- International Conference on Agricultural, Biosystems, Biotechnology and Biological Engineering
- PBS Publication on Biosafety
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (December 7, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (December 7, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (December 1, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: