Seed Conditioning Facility in South AfricaMay 6, 2011
Lichtenburg in the North West province of South Africa is site of Africa's largest modern maize see processing plant. The Monsanto plant will produce genetically modified (GM) seeds to be exported to the rest of Africa and other countries abroad. Monsanto in SA exports about 300,000 10 kg bags of GM seeds, with 35,000 kernels each, to Europe, the Philippines and Egypt.
The plant has grain drying and laboratory research technology, and a laboratory for a variety of scientific tests, including eight levels of DNA tests for the correct traits, seed purity, and germination vigor. The drying facility can handle 320 tons of wet cobs a day.
The details of the story are at http://www.seedtoday.com/articles/Monsanto_Opens_Corn_Seed_Conditioning_Facility_in_South_Africa-108289.html.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Initiative for Food and Ag Policy
- Need to Address Issues Regarding Benefit Sharing in ITPGRFA
- Restoration Seed Banks Proposed
- Seed Conditioning Facility in South Africa
- Soybean and Sunflower in Ethiopia?
- Biotech Crops in South Africa
- Atlantic Food Summit Panel Highlights Biotechnology
- Delivering Nutritionally Enhanced Sorghum to Africa
- Formidable Fungal Force Counters Biofuel Plant Pathogens
- Improving Wheat and Durum Varieties for Western Canadian Farmers
- One Corn Gene Provides Resistance to Multiple Diseases
- Selaginella Genome Sequence Maybe Key to Plant Evolutionary Puzzle
- Scientists Conclude Origin of Rice
- Plants Duplicate Chromosomes to Adapt
- ISAAA Publishes "Bt Cotton in India: A Multipurpose Crop"
- China Launches Agri-Science and Technology Program
- CAU-Purdue Research Collaboration Forged
- Filipino Farmers and Key Stakeholders Participate in Biotech Communication Workshop
- Filipino Farmers Ratify Resolution Supporting Bt Eggplant Trials
- INRA's Metaprogrammes for Global Agronomic Research
- QTL Mapping for Resistance to 1st and 2nd Generation of European Corn Borer
- Transgenic Production of Arachidonic Acid in Oilseeds
- Distribution of Genes Controlling Fruit Shape in the Tomato Germplasm and the Relationship to Fruit Shape Diversity
Beyond Crop Biotech
- GM Mosquitoes to Combat Malaria
- Japanese Scientists Engineer Retina
- France – Annual Conference of the National Federation of Farmers
- International Conference on Agricultural, Biosystems, Biotechnology and Biological Engineering
- PBS Publication on Biosafety
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: