Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the PhilippinesJuly 28, 2021
The Philippines has approved Golden Rice, a rice variety genetically engineered to contain additional levels of beta-carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. The Philippine Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Plant Industry (DA-BPI) announced that a biosafety permit for propagating the Golden Rice has been issued on July 21, 2021.
Golden Rice is engineered to provide up to 50 percent of the estimated average requirement (EAR) for vitamin A of young children, the age group most susceptible to VAD in the Philippines. Around one in five children from the poorest communities in the Philippines suffer from vitamin A deficiency (VAD), a condition affecting an estimated 190 million children worldwide. The condition is the most common cause of childhood blindness and a contributing factor to a weakened immune system.
Dr. John C. de Leon, Executive Director of the DA-Philippine Rice Research Institute (DA-PhilRice) said the permit states that Golden Rice has "undergone satisfactory biosafety assessment pursuant to the Joint Department Circular No.1, Series of 2016". With this permit, De Leon said that Golden Rice can now be planted for commercial production, though it still needs varietal registration by the National Seed Industry Council.
Golden Rice has already received food safety approvals in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the United States of America, but the Philippines is the first country to approve commercial cultivation. Golden Rice is also currently undergoing final regulatory review in Bangladesh.
First conceived by Professors Ingo Potrykus and Peter Beyer in the late 1980s, IRRI became the first licensee of the scientists' work in 2001. Golden Rice is part of the Healthier Rice Project carried out by DA-PhilRice in partnership with the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI).
You might also like:
- Philippines Approves Golden Rice for Direct Use as Food and Feed, or for Processing
- Golden Rice Gets Approval from US FDA
- Golden Rice Gets Approval from Health Canada
- FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Golden Rice
- GR2E Golden Rice
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- RNA Breakthrough Creates Rice and Potatoes that Grow 50% More; Tolerate Drought
- Meta-analysis Shows that Future Food Demand Will Increase between 35-56% over the Period 2010-2050
- Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the Philippines
- Gene Drive Regulations to Evolve as the Technology Advances -Experts
- Scientists Say Modern Biotech Tools Beneficial for West Africa's Yam Industry
- UPLB's Bt Eggplant Approved for Consumption in the Philippines
- Leading Groups Urge UK Government to Take Action to Harness Unique Contribution of Plant Genetic Innovation
- Study Finds Genome-Edited Foods Found Generally Acceptable by UK Consumers
- Study Reveals Gene Involved in Stem Rust Resistance in Wheat
- CRISPR Takes Out Bitter Compounds in Chicory
- Book Tackles Genome Editing Techniques for Climate-Smart Crops
- First GM Marsupials Developed with CRISPR
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: