Golden Rice Gets Approval from US FDAMay 30, 2018
On May 24, 2018, the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) released a statement on GR2E Golden Rice, a rice genetically engineered to produce provitamin A carotenoids. The US FDA statement concurs with the assessment of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) regarding the safety and nutrition of Golden Rice.
The US FDA approval is the third positive food safety evaluation of Golden Rice, after the approvals granted by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) and Health Canada in February and March 2018, respectively.
"Each regulatory application that Golden Rice completes with national regulatory agencies takes us one step closer to bringing Golden Rice to the people who need it the most," says IRRI Director General Matthew Morell. He added that the rigorous safety standards observed by the US FDA and other agencies provide a model for decision-making in all countries wishing to reap the benefits of Golden Rice.
For more details, read the IRRI media release.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Incorporating Biodiversity as a Priority in Agri Can Yield Multiple Benefits
- African Countries Need to Push Climate Smart Agriculture
- Researchers Engineer Cell-Like Structure for Photosynthesis
- Golden Rice Gets Approval from US FDA
- Special Screening of Documentary on GMOs held for Legislators in the Philippines
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on GM Maize 4114
- Gene from Taro Confers Aphid Resistance in Indian Mustard
- Endogenous Proteins Expression in Maize Tested in a Multi-Location Fields in India
- Candidate Gene for Drought Tolerance Found in Wheat
Beyond Crop Biotech
- New Arabica Coffee Genome Sequence Made Available
- Transgenic Pigs that Digest Grains Better can Reduce Pork Industry's Carbon Footprint
- Conversations on Climate Change
- Workshop on Marker Assisted Breeding in Oilseed Mustard
- Video: Uganda's GMO Potato Story
- Chinese Researchers Develop Herbicide Tolerant Watermelon
- Scientists Find Resistance Gene Against Rice Blast
- SDG8 Genes Involved in Floral Transition in Rapeseed
- CRISPR Editing Tested on Carotenoid Synthesis Genes in Tomato
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: