UPLB's Bt Eggplant Approved for Consumption in the PhilippinesJuly 28, 2021
Bt eggplant event EE-1 is resistant to eggplant fruit and shoot borer, the most destructive pest of eggplant. It was developed by experts from the Institute of Plant Breeding of the University of the Philippines Los Baños, making it the first Filipino biotech product. A commercial planting approval is necessary before farmers in the Philippines can avail themselves of the benefits of the Bt crop. These benefits include less dependence and exposure to insecticides, improved marketable yield, better income, and peace of mind for farmers.
According to the University of the Philippines' statement about the Bt eggplant field trials, the Bt eggplant project is a priority project of the state university with its pro-people and pro-environment agenda. The researchers conducted the research following the biosafety requirements and guidelines implemented in the country. Thus, DA-BPI issued the biosafety permit for direct use as food, feed, or for processing.
You might also like:
- Hope for the Harvest
- Questions and Answers about the Fruit and Shoot Borer Resistant Eggplant (Bt Talong), the First Filipino Biotech Product
- Filipino Farmers Await Bt Eggplant Release
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- RNA Breakthrough Creates Rice and Potatoes that Grow 50% More; Tolerate Drought
- Meta-analysis Shows that Future Food Demand Will Increase between 35-56% over the Period 2010-2050
- Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the Philippines
- Gene Drive Regulations to Evolve as the Technology Advances -Experts
- Scientists Say Modern Biotech Tools Beneficial for West Africa's Yam Industry
- UPLB's Bt Eggplant Approved for Consumption in the Philippines
- Leading Groups Urge UK Government to Take Action to Harness Unique Contribution of Plant Genetic Innovation
- Study Finds Genome-Edited Foods Found Generally Acceptable by UK Consumers
- Study Reveals Gene Involved in Stem Rust Resistance in Wheat
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR Takes Out Bitter Compounds in Chicory
- Book Tackles Genome Editing Techniques for Climate-Smart Crops
- First GM Marsupials Developed with CRISPR
Subscribe to CBU: