FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Golden RiceJanuary 10, 2018
Food derived from Provitamin A rice line GR2E (popularly known as Golden Rice) can be sold in Australia and New Zealand. Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) released the approval report for Application A1138 submitted by the International Rice Research Institute seeking approval for food derived from rice line GR2E, genetically modified (GM) to produce provitamin A carotenoids, especially beta-carotene, in the grain.
FSANZ stressed that the approval was meant to prevent trade disruption should Golden Rice be inadvertently present in imported shipments of milled rice, and that GR2E is not intended to be used in the Australian or New Zealand food supplies.
A safety assessment and nutrition risk assessment of GM rice line GR2E are included as supporting documents to the report. No potential public health and safety concerns have been identified. Based on the data provided in the present Application, and other available information, food derived from line GR2E is considered to be as safe for human consumption as food derived from conventional rice cultivars.
For more information, read the Approval Report and supporting documents on the FSANZ website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Team of International Scientists Unlocks Peanut's Genetic Code
- IITA Begins Confined Field Trials of Transgenic Cassava
- Global Research Team Identifies Pathogen Gene that Wheat Plants Detect to ‘Switch On' Resistance
- Salk Scientists Discover Unusual Immune Response of Plants to Bacterial Infection
- Researchers Find Genetic Mechanism that Could Enhance Yield of Cereal Crops
- FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Golden Rice
- European Commission Authorizes Six GM Crops for Food and Feed
- TaHDZipI-5 Involved in Drought and Frost Tolerance in Wheat
- Plastocyanin Gene from Seepweed Improves Oxidative Stress Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Overexpression of PaFKBP12 in Arabidopsis Enhances Tolerance to Multiple Stresses
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 Technology to Improve Drought and Salt Tolerance in Rice
- Genome Editing of CLAVATA Genes in Canola Regulates Multilocular Silique Development
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Find Gene Involved in Arsenic Resistance in Poplar
From the BICs
- Workshop Discusses Importance of Biotech in Sustainable Agri Dev't in Vietnam
- ISAAA Blog: How Filipino News Writers Define Biotechnology
Subscribe to CBU: