ISAAA Report Launched in KenyaJune 15, 2016
ISAAA AfriCenter launched the ISAAA Brief 51: 20th Anniversary (1996 to 2015) of the Global Commercialization of Biotech Crops and Biotech Crop Highlights in 2015 at the 82nd event of the Open Forum on Agricultural Biotechnology on June 3, 2016. The launch was attended by 60 stakeholders, including women scientists from public and private research institutions, and youth leaders from the East African Youth Assembly.
Honorable Jennifer Murogocho, a farmer and Member of the Meru County Assembly was the guest of honor at the meeting. Sharing from the experience gained through visiting countries that have grown GM crops, Hon. Murogocho commended agricultural biotechnology as a tool that would make a difference for Kenyan farmers. She encouraged the youth to choose agriculture as it could be a means out of unemployment.
"I was happy to meet South African young farmers who grow GM crops and are proud to be farmers because they have GM maize and cotton, which gives them good returns," said Hon. Murogosho.
The official launch was followed by discussions in a "Table for Twenty" model, where three groups discussed about the potential of GM crops for the country as well as the opportunity cost of not adopting.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Final Analysis Shows 100% Compliance of Parties to Kyoto Protocol
- G20 Ministers: Innovation in Agriculture the Key to Ending Extreme Hunger
- IWGSC Releases Wheat Sequence Repository for Wheat Researchers
- Study Reveals Experts' Attitudes towards Governance of Gene Editing
- ICRA: Pricing Controls and Compulsory Licensing of Bt Cotton Cloud the Long-term Growth of GM Seeds Industry
- Research Findings Bring Promise of Tailored Products for the Industry
- New Plant Engineering Method to Help Mass Production of Malaria Drug
- MfPIP2-7 Gene from Falcate Confers Cold Tolerance in Transgenic Tobacco
- Overexpression of Wheat Gene Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Stiff Brome
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Plant-based Vaccine a Front Runner for New Polio Jab
- Scientists Use CRISPR to Grow Human Pancreas in Pigs
From the BICs
- ISAAA Report Launched in Kenya
- Postgraduate Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- What are CRISPR/Cas9 and other New Breeding Technologies (NBTs)?
- The Necessary "GMO" Denialism and Scientific Consensus
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: