IWGSC Releases Wheat Sequence Repository for Wheat ResearchersJune 15, 2016
The International Wheat Genome Sequencing Consortium (IWGSC) launched the wheat sequence repository for use of wheat breeders and scientists to hasten crop improvement programs and wheat genomics research. The resource is based on Illumina sequencing data assembled with NRGene's DeNovoMAGICTM software which accurately represents over 90 percent of the highly complex bread wheat genome that contains over 97 percent of known genes, and assigns the data to the 21 wheat chromosomes. These data will help researchers identify genes linked to vital traits such as yield increase, stress response, and disease resistance.
The project team will continue working on the project to further identify the exact locations of genes, regulatory elements, and markers along the chromosomes. The final result will include all genomic resources produced by the initiatives of IWGSC over the last decade.
Get more information from IWGSC.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Final Analysis Shows 100% Compliance of Parties to Kyoto Protocol
- G20 Ministers: Innovation in Agriculture the Key to Ending Extreme Hunger
- IWGSC Releases Wheat Sequence Repository for Wheat Researchers
- Study Reveals Experts' Attitudes towards Governance of Gene Editing
- ICRA: Pricing Controls and Compulsory Licensing of Bt Cotton Cloud the Long-term Growth of GM Seeds Industry
- Research Findings Bring Promise of Tailored Products for the Industry
- New Plant Engineering Method to Help Mass Production of Malaria Drug
- MfPIP2-7 Gene from Falcate Confers Cold Tolerance in Transgenic Tobacco
- Overexpression of Wheat Gene Improves Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Stiff Brome
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Plant-based Vaccine a Front Runner for New Polio Jab
- Scientists Use CRISPR to Grow Human Pancreas in Pigs
From the BICs
- ISAAA Report Launched in Kenya
- Postgraduate Course in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology
- What are CRISPR/Cas9 and other New Breeding Technologies (NBTs)?
- The Necessary "GMO" Denialism and Scientific Consensus
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: