EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on Two-Event Stack Soybean DAS-81419-2 × DAS-44406-6November 25, 2020
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) Panel on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO Panel) has released the Scientific Opinion on application EFSA‐GMO‐NL‐2016‐132 for authorization of genetically modified insect resistant and herbicide tolerant soybean DAS-81419-2 × DAS-44406-6 for food and feed uses, import, and processing submitted in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 by Dow Agrosciences LCC.
The two-event stack soybean DAS-8419-2 × DAS-44406-6 was developed to provide protection against certain lepidopteran pests and tolerance to 2,4–dichlorophenoxyacetic acid and other related phenoxy herbicides, and glyphosate‐ and glufosinate ammonium‐containing herbicides. The GMO Panel has previously assessed the two single soybean events and did not identify safety concerns. No new safety issue was identified by updated bioinformatic analyses, nor reported by the applicant concerning the two single soybean events, since the publication of the respective scientific opinions.
The GMO Panel considers that its previous conclusions on the safety of the single soybean events remain valid and that the two-event stack soybean would not raise safety concerns in case of accidental release of viable GM soybean seeds into the environment. The GMO Panel concludes that soybean DAS–81419–2 × DAS–44406–6, as described in the application, is as safe as the conventional counterpart and the tested non‐GM reference varieties with respect to potential effects on human and animal health and the environment.
For more details, read the scientific opinion in the EFSA Journal.
You might also like:
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Online Animal Biotech Discourses Cover Market and Public Readiness
- International Research Group Confirms Contribution of Bioenergy to Climate Change Mitigation
- FAO Urges G20 to Support Farmers, Protect the Vulnerable and Invest in Innovation
- OFAB Nigeria Celebrates Exemplary Science Journalism
- International Research Team Identifies Genetics Behind Deadly Oat Blight
- Study Details Efforts to Predict Corn Traits Based on Genomic and Data Analytics
- Researchers Reveal Switch Used in Plant Defense against Animal Attack
- Giant Virus Genomes Found Riding on Algae Genomes
- Biotech Experts to Tackle the Role of Biotech in Indonesia's Food Security
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on Two-Event Stack Soybean DAS-81419-2 × DAS-44406-6
- GM Maize Feed Safe For Quails
- GmMYB3a Overexpression Improves Drought Tolerance in Peanuts
- Digital CRISPR-Cas‐Assisted Assay for Rapid SARS‐CoV‐2 Detection
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: