Upregulation of Lipid Biosynthesis Increases the Oil Content in SorghumJuly 18, 2018
Production of the storage lipid triacylglycerol in vegetative plant tissues has emerged as a promising strategy to meet the world's need for vegetable oil. Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) is an attractive target crop due to its high biomass, drought resistance and C4 photosynthesis. While oilseed-like triacylglycerol levels have been engineered in the C3 model plant tobacco, progress in C4 monocot crops has been relatively slow. This prompted researchers from CSIRO Agriculture and Food in Australia to modify sorghum so its leaf tissues produce and accumulate triacylglycerol.
The team overexpressed the maize (Zea mays) WRI1 transcription factor gene, the UrDGAT2a acyltransferase gene from the fungus Umbelopsis ramanniana and Oleosin‐L oil body protein from sesame (Sesamum indicum). Overexpressing these three genes led to the upregulation of lipid synthesis in the transgenic sorghum. The resulting transgenics exhibited increased oil content, which was visible as lipid droplets in the leaf mesophyll cells.
These results present the first step forward towards the development of sorghum as a biomass oil crop.
For more information, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Experts Tackle Importance of GM Crops Commercialization in Beijing
- African Scientists Challenged to Invest in Developing Communication Skills
- International Research Team Discovers Genetic Mechanism that Allows Rice to Survive Flooding
- Farm Babe Debunks Myths about GMOs
- Japanese Researchers Assemble First Accurate Buckwheat Genome
- Cornell Alliance for Science Calls for Comments for Golden Rice in PH
- Vietnamese Farmers Share Experiences in GM Maize Planting
- Socio-economic Aspect of GM Crops Highlighted in Symposium
- Australian OGTR Issues License for GM Wheat Field Trials
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on Four-Event Stack Maize Bt11 × MIR162 × 1507 × GA21
- Sugarcane Genome Has Finally Been Sequenced
- ZmNBS25 from Maize Functions as a Disease Resistance Gene Across Species
- Upregulation of Lipid Biosynthesis Increases the Oil Content in Sorghum
From the BICs
- "Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" Book Now Available in Telugu
- CRISPR Can Speed up Nature and Change How We Grow Food
- Researchers Find Soybean Genes for Alkaline Stress Resistance
- FaTM6 Controls Flower Development in Strawberry
- OsIPMS1 Gene Involved in Seed Vigor and Energy Metabolism in Rice
- Chinese Scientists Develop Improved CRISPR System
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: