Vietnamese Farmers Share Experiences in GM Maize PlantingJuly 18, 2018
Le Thanh Hai, one of the earliest adopters of the technology from Vinh Phuc Province, said that there was limited information about the food safety of the product after it was commercialized. "However, GMM (genetically modified maize) is pest resistant and suitable for the local crop structure. GMM has helped revive maize farming in our locality," Hai said, and stressed that many farmers now grow GMM.
Tran Quang, Director of the Xuan Tien Trade & Agriculture Service Cooperative in Dong Nai province, said that 150 hectares of the cooperative is now covered with biotech maize and the products have been selling well.
Huynh Van Dang from An Giang province has been testing to grow biotech maize on 6,000 square meters since early this year. Dang found that there are many advantages of biotech maize farming such as less labor and less time to look after the crops. "As we don't have to spend much time on the GMM field, we have time to take other work to earn extra money," he said.
Read more from Vietnam Net.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Experts Tackle Importance of GM Crops Commercialization in Beijing
- African Scientists Challenged to Invest in Developing Communication Skills
- International Research Team Discovers Genetic Mechanism that Allows Rice to Survive Flooding
- Farm Babe Debunks Myths about GMOs
- Japanese Researchers Assemble First Accurate Buckwheat Genome
- Cornell Alliance for Science Calls for Comments for Golden Rice in PH
- Vietnamese Farmers Share Experiences in GM Maize Planting
- Socio-economic Aspect of GM Crops Highlighted in Symposium
- Australian OGTR Issues License for GM Wheat Field Trials
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on Four-Event Stack Maize Bt11 × MIR162 × 1507 × GA21
- Sugarcane Genome Has Finally Been Sequenced
- ZmNBS25 from Maize Functions as a Disease Resistance Gene Across Species
- Upregulation of Lipid Biosynthesis Increases the Oil Content in Sorghum
From the BICs
- "Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" Book Now Available in Telugu
- CRISPR Can Speed up Nature and Change How We Grow Food
- Researchers Find Soybean Genes for Alkaline Stress Resistance
- FaTM6 Controls Flower Development in Strawberry
- OsIPMS1 Gene Involved in Seed Vigor and Energy Metabolism in Rice
- Chinese Scientists Develop Improved CRISPR System
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: