Biotic Stress: From Gene to FieldJanuary 15, 2014
A one day workshop on "Biotic stress: from gene to field" was organized by Egypt Biotechnology Information Center (EBIC) on December 25, 2013. Held at Misr University for Science and Technology (MUST), Giza, Egypt, it was participated in by more than 100 scientists, students, and stakeholders.
Addressing the audience, Professor Mohammed El-Azzazi, President of the university stressed the importance of conducting research and sharing knowledge. "We must cope with a scientific revolution that GM crops have made", he added. Prof. Mohamed El-Saadani, Vice President for Research of the university said, "Students represent the decision makers of the future, they should understand and digest the new technology to solve tomorrow's problems - one of the most important problems will be food shortage, especially with changing climate."
The speakers included Dr. Hala Eissa, Vice Dean of Faculty of Biotechnology, MUST and a member of the team that developed the drought tolerant wheat and fungal resistant wheat in Egypt. She demonstrated the wheat research conducted in Egypt from lab to field, with up to 7 years of field testing. Unfortunately, extended field trials are on hold for political reasons, that hinders the path towards commercializing those plants.
For more details about this workshop, contact Dr. Naglaa Abdallah, Egypt Biotechnology Information Center Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Major Economic Models Point Direction on World's Agriculture, Climate Change
- Biotic Stress: From Gene to Field
- Adesina Calls on Speeding Up Biosafety Bill Approval
- TWAS-ARO Organize S&T Education for Sustainable Development in Arab Region Conference
- US Consumers' Perception of Biotech Crops
- General Mills' Cheerios Reinforce Safety of Biotech Crops
- Fraley: Biotech Wheat Moves Closer to Market
- Researchers Discover Another Pathway for Amino Acid Production in Plants
- Indian National Science Academy Fellowship Conferred on ICRISAT Scientist
- Scientists Discover Plant Mechanism to Stimulate their Growth Even Under Stress
- EFSA: GM Soybean 305423 is as Safe as its Conventional Counterpart
- Wheat Genome Dataset to Help Researchers Improve the Grain
- Overexpression of Glucanase in Maize for Direct Use in Animal Feed
- Gene from Arabidopsis Improves Drought Tolerance of Indica Rice
- Effect of Biotech Maize 5307 on Non-target Organisms
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Coppicing Response Gene in Biomass Willow Identified
- Scientists Use Metabolic Engineering to Modify Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Microalgae
- 2nd Plant Genomics Congress
- 5th World Congress on Biotechnology
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: