Cotton Seed Distributors to Release Three New Cotton VarietiesJune 25, 2010
Three new Bollgard Roundup Ready Flex cotton varieties will soon to be released by the Cotton Seed Distributors, as part of the yearly tradition of releasing new cultivars. These new varieties are coded as Sicot 74 BRF, Sicala 340 BRF and Siokra 24 BRF.
According to plant breeder Dr. Warwick Stillar of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) , Sicot 74 is the improved type of Sicot 71, because it has better fiber quality, fiber length, and exhibited three to four percent yield increase in the testing areas. On the other hand, Sicala 340 replaces Sicala 350B, having enhanced staple length, strength, and fineness in the small-scale trials conducted. The improved variety of Siokra V16 BR is Siokra 24 BRF, which showed significant delayed resistance to whitefly attack and may be suitable in dryland conditions.
For further information, visit http://www.csd.net.au/news/show/21222.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Halving Hunger through "Business as Unusual"
- UK Support for Global Food Security
- Report Says Enhance Food Security in Africa through S & T
- S&W Company Releases First Ever Group 8 Dormancy Salt Tolerant Alfalfa
- US Supreme Court Favors Release of Roundup Ready Alfalfa
- Pioneer Experts Warns Soybean Growers Against White Mold
- INIA Disproves Claim of Illegally Planted Transgenic Maize in Peru
- KSU and Monsanto Collaborate to Develop Better Wheat Varieties
- Monsanto Beachell-Borlaug Program 2010 Winners
- GM Canola in High Demand in Western Australia
- Malaysian GMAC Formed
- Australian Approval for Field Testing of GM Wheat for Drought and Heat Resistance
- Golden Spirulina Being Studied in Thailand
- Cotton Seed Distributors to Release Three New Cotton Varieties
- EFSA Meets with Member States re ERA
- Plants Sex Influence Offspring Seed Size and Survival
- A New Test for the Anthurium Blight in Europe
- Development of Monsanto's Glyphosate-resistant Cotton
- Scientists Investigate the Nitrogen and Genotype Effects on Protein and Amino Acid Distribution in Rice
- Adaptation Could Improve Maize Yield and Evapotranspiration Amidst Climate Change
- European Forum for Industrial Biotechnology 2010 in Edinburgh
- Q-bank Databases Officially Launched
- Biosafety Capacities - FAO
- Climate Change and Agriculture: Impacts Adaption and Mitigation
- Video: Technical Meeting on the Updated Guidance Document on ERA of GM Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: