KSU and Monsanto Collaborate to Develop Better Wheat VarietiesJune 25, 2010
Kansas State University and Monsanto have announced their partnership towards developing better wheat varieties. According to Gary Pierzynski, the interim dean of the K-State College of Agriculture, the partnership will benefit Kansas wheat growers because there would be wider wheat breeding programs from public and private sectors. The collaboration would also give them the chance to pick specific genetic markers to improve pest resistance and grain quality characteristics. Allan Fritz, another K-State professor, also noted that the partnership would help the enhanced varieties to get to the market faster.
"Kansas State researchers have a wealth of experience and knowledge in the field, and with our proven breeding technology experience, we see this collaboration as an excellent opportunity to produce successful new wheat varieties," said Sean Gardner, Monsanto's global commercial wheat lead.
View the news release at http://www.wkarc.org/DesktopDefault.aspx.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Halving Hunger through "Business as Unusual"
- UK Support for Global Food Security
- Report Says Enhance Food Security in Africa through S & T
- S&W Company Releases First Ever Group 8 Dormancy Salt Tolerant Alfalfa
- US Supreme Court Favors Release of Roundup Ready Alfalfa
- Pioneer Experts Warns Soybean Growers Against White Mold
- INIA Disproves Claim of Illegally Planted Transgenic Maize in Peru
- KSU and Monsanto Collaborate to Develop Better Wheat Varieties
- Monsanto Beachell-Borlaug Program 2010 Winners
- GM Canola in High Demand in Western Australia
- Malaysian GMAC Formed
- Australian Approval for Field Testing of GM Wheat for Drought and Heat Resistance
- Golden Spirulina Being Studied in Thailand
- Cotton Seed Distributors to Release Three New Cotton Varieties
- EFSA Meets with Member States re ERA
- Plants Sex Influence Offspring Seed Size and Survival
- A New Test for the Anthurium Blight in Europe
- Development of Monsanto's Glyphosate-resistant Cotton
- Scientists Investigate the Nitrogen and Genotype Effects on Protein and Amino Acid Distribution in Rice
- Adaptation Could Improve Maize Yield and Evapotranspiration Amidst Climate Change
- European Forum for Industrial Biotechnology 2010 in Edinburgh
- Q-bank Databases Officially Launched
- Biosafety Capacities - FAO
- Climate Change and Agriculture: Impacts Adaption and Mitigation
- Video: Technical Meeting on the Updated Guidance Document on ERA of GM Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: