EFSA Meets with Member States re ERAJune 25, 2010
Scientists from the European Food Safety Authority met with experts from Member States in Berlin to be updated on the latest scientific developments and approaches to assess possible environmental risks from genetically modified (GM) plants. They discussed a guidance document outlining EFSA procedures for environmental risk assessment (ERA) of GM plants and data requirements.
"The ERA should follow a step-by-step approach, according to the clearly defined framework laid out in the guidance. Each GMO is unique and must be assessed individually. This requires specific evaluation of the plant, its traits, how it will be used and its possible interactions with the receiving environment," said Professor Salvatore Arpaia, chair of the GMO Panel's Working Group on Non-Target Organisms.
The discussion will enable the GMO Panel and its Working Groups to finalize pertinent documents which will be adopted and published by November 2010.Check out http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/events/event/gmo100617.htm for details of this meeting.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Halving Hunger through "Business as Unusual"
- UK Support for Global Food Security
- Report Says Enhance Food Security in Africa through S & T
- S&W Company Releases First Ever Group 8 Dormancy Salt Tolerant Alfalfa
- US Supreme Court Favors Release of Roundup Ready Alfalfa
- Pioneer Experts Warns Soybean Growers Against White Mold
- INIA Disproves Claim of Illegally Planted Transgenic Maize in Peru
- KSU and Monsanto Collaborate to Develop Better Wheat Varieties
- Monsanto Beachell-Borlaug Program 2010 Winners
- GM Canola in High Demand in Western Australia
- Malaysian GMAC Formed
- Australian Approval for Field Testing of GM Wheat for Drought and Heat Resistance
- Golden Spirulina Being Studied in Thailand
- Cotton Seed Distributors to Release Three New Cotton Varieties
- EFSA Meets with Member States re ERA
- Plants Sex Influence Offspring Seed Size and Survival
- A New Test for the Anthurium Blight in Europe
- Development of Monsanto's Glyphosate-resistant Cotton
- Scientists Investigate the Nitrogen and Genotype Effects on Protein and Amino Acid Distribution in Rice
- Adaptation Could Improve Maize Yield and Evapotranspiration Amidst Climate Change
- European Forum for Industrial Biotechnology 2010 in Edinburgh
- Q-bank Databases Officially Launched
- Biosafety Capacities - FAO
- Climate Change and Agriculture: Impacts Adaption and Mitigation
- Video: Technical Meeting on the Updated Guidance Document on ERA of GM Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: