Study Finds Long Noncoding RNA that Enhances Plant's Tolerance to ColdAugust 17, 2022
Plant Science journal reported a long noncoding RNA that improves cold stress tolerance in Arabidopsis.
Cold stress is one of the major environmental factors that impact global crop yield and production. Several long noncoding RNAs have been known to be involved in plant response to cold stress, but their molecular biological role is still to be explored.
Researchers from Qingdao Agricultural University identified a novel long noncoding RNA COLD INDUCED lncRNA 1 (CIL1), as a positive regulator of the plant response to cold stress in Arabidopsis. They observed that CIL1 was significantly induced when the plant was exposed to cold stress. CIL1 mutants exhibited sensitivity to cold stress through reduction of reactive oxygen species (ROS) scavenging and osmotic substances contents.
Based on the results, the researchers concluded that CIL1 controls the expression of multiple stress-related genes that are linked to plant cold tolerance.
Read more findings in Plant Science.
You might also like:
- Scientists Report a Plant Part in Arabidopsis for the First Time
- Tapping Sorghum's Potential for Cold Tolerance
- Knock-out of OsAnn3 Decreases Cold Tolerance in Rice
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Reports Decline in Global Food Commodity Prices for July
- Network of Plant Scientists to Help Improve Biotech Research Capacity Globally
- Synthetic Genes Found to Modify Root Structures and Increase Plant Resiliency
- Research Reveals Circadian Clock's Guiding Role in Plant Cell Differentiation
- Australian Scientists Identify Natural Plant Mechanism for Water Loss
- Workshop to Explore Policy Considerations for Gene Editing in Asia and Australia
- Vietnamese Government Push for Agbiotechnology to Help Mitigate Climate Change Effects
- EFSA: Five-event GM Stack Maize and Subcombinations as Safe as Non-GM Maize
- Tricoderma Gene Confers Sheath Blight Resistance to Rice
- Study Finds Long Noncoding RNA that Enhances Plant's Tolerance to Cold
- Pac1 Gene Integrated Into Sugarcane to Promote Resistance Against SCSMV
- CRISPR Reveals Role of OsPPR9 in Rice Chloroplast Development
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: