Nutrition Expert Dr. Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted is 2021 World Food Prize AwardeeMay 12, 2021
The World Food Prize Foundation has announced on May 11, 2021, that leading nutrition expert Dr. Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted is the 2021 World Food Prize Laureate for her achievements in pioneering fish-based food systems to improve nutrition, health, and livelihoods for millions around the world.
Dr. Thilsted becomes the seventh woman to be awarded the World Food Prize and the first woman of Asian heritage to receive the $250,000 award for unlocking the benefits of fish for diets, health, and livelihoods across the Global South. During the Laureate Announcement, Dr. Thilsted said, "This award is an important recognition of the essential but often overlooked role of fish and aquatic food systems in agricultural research for development. Fish and aquatic foods offer life-changing opportunities for millions of vulnerable women, children and men to be healthy and well-nourished."
The 2021 Laureate Announcement featured pre-recorded remarks from the U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Thomas J. Vilsack, and UN Nutrition Chair Naoko Yamamoto, with World Food Prize Foundation President Barbara Stinson announcing the name of the Laureate.
You might also like:
- 24 World Food Prize Laureates Urge U.S. President to Make Fighting Global Hunger Top Priority
- Soil Health Trailblazer is 2020 World Food Prize Laureate
- Vegetable Breeder Simon Groot is the 2019 World Food Prize Laureate
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Nutrition Expert Dr. Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted is 2021 World Food Prize Awardee
- Sarah Evanega Wins 2021 Borlaug CAST Communication Award
- ISAAA Webinar: Science and Opportunities for Biotech (GE and GEd) Poultry in Food and Agriculture
- First GM Mosquitoes Deployed in the United States
- Researchers Identify 11 Genes for Carotenoid Traits in Corn Kernels
- Traceable Drought-Tolerant Wheat Products Set for Argentina, Brazil Consumers
- South Australia Plants GM Crops after Lifting Ban
- Philippine Government Continues Capacity Enhancement Training for Regulators
- Research Team Discovers Gene Combination that Gives Oats Resistance to Root Disease
- Scientists Boost Recombinant Protein Production in Soybean Seeds
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Rothamsted Research Submits Application to Defra for Field Trial of Gene-Edited Wheat
- The Regulatory Landscape for Genome-edited Plants is Rapidly Changing, Experts Say
Subscribe to CBU: