TALENs Used for Multiple Gene Knockout in ChrysanthemumNovember 4, 2020
Researchers from Fukui Prefectural University and National Agriculture and Food Research Organization in Japan reported simultaneous TALEN-mediated knockout of chrysanthemum genes to confer sterility. Their findings, which will help prevent transgene flow to wild relatives, are published in Scientific Reports.
Genome editing is one of the vital tools used to improve plants. However, in species containing over two homologous sets of chromosomes like chrysanthemum, knocking out all loci of several genes is necessary to ensure that there would be functional overlaps. Thus, the researchers searched for complementary DNAs (cDNAs) for CmDMC1 genes which are linked to meiotic homologous recombination in chrysanthemum. Because all the 6 identified cDNAs are found in a particular location of the chromosome, simultaneous knockout using TALENs was possible. Two cultivars with the TALEN-expression vector led to the development of lines with disrupted CmDMC1 loci inducing male and female sterility.Read the research article in Scientific Reports.
You might also like:
- CRISPR-Cas9 and TALENs Used to Generate Mutants for Studying Small RNA in Legumes
- Scientists Use TALENs for Targeted Genome Editing of Potato
- Researchers Engineer a Rapid TALEN Assembly Protocol for Genome Editing
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenyan Farmers Start Cultivating Biotech Cotton
- USDA-APHIS Invites Public Comments for Genetically Engineered Corn
- CABBI Team Sequences Miscanthus Genome
- Researchers Map Genome of Agricultural 'Monsters'
- Study Documents How Consumer Knowledge Influence Attitudes Towards GM Foods in Korea
- ASEAN Agriculture and Forestry Ministers Call for Sustained Significant Investment in Rice Research
- Researchers Map Plant Immune System
- Striped Stem Borer-Resistant Rice Developed Using amiRNA Expression Technology
- MitoTALENs Used to Delete Mitochondrial Genes in Arabidopsis
- TALENs Used for Multiple Gene Knockout in Chrysanthemum
- All European Academies Call for Harmonization of the EU Legislation on Genome Editing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: