Researchers Map Plant Immune SystemNovember 4, 2020
Researchers from John Innes Centre (JIC) have mapped out the plant immune system. The research provides a roadmap to plant immunity, with a focus on cell-surface and intracellular immune receptors.
In a paper published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Professor Mark Banfield, leader of the BBSRC-funded Plant Health Institute Strategic Programme (ISP) at the John Innes Centre and corresponding author of the review said the overview explains concepts of the plant immune system to readers from diverse research backgrounds, including biological chemists, structural biologists, and biophysicists.
In the paper, the research team describes how receptors perceive signatures of pathogens and pests and initiate immune pathways. The merged existing concepts with new insights gained from recent breakthroughs on the structure and function of plant immune receptors, which have generated a shift in understanding cell-surface and intracellular immunity and the interplay between the two. This understanding of plant immunity helped discuss the potential of engineering the plant immune system with the aim of bolstering plant defenses against disease.
You might also like:
- Biologists Develop Defense to Fight Crop Infections
- Researchers Discover Vaccine to Strengthen Plant Immune System
- Research Sheds Light on Key Component of Plant Immune Systems
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenyan Farmers Start Cultivating Biotech Cotton
- USDA-APHIS Invites Public Comments for Genetically Engineered Corn
- CABBI Team Sequences Miscanthus Genome
- Researchers Map Genome of Agricultural 'Monsters'
- Study Documents How Consumer Knowledge Influence Attitudes Towards GM Foods in Korea
- ASEAN Agriculture and Forestry Ministers Call for Sustained Significant Investment in Rice Research
- Researchers Map Plant Immune System
- Striped Stem Borer-Resistant Rice Developed Using amiRNA Expression Technology
- MitoTALENs Used to Delete Mitochondrial Genes in Arabidopsis
- TALENs Used for Multiple Gene Knockout in Chrysanthemum
- All European Academies Call for Harmonization of the EU Legislation on Genome Editing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: