USDA-APHIS Invites Public Comments for Genetically Engineered CornNovember 4, 2020
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) invites the public to comment on a petition from Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. seeking deregulation of genetically engineered (GE) corn variety DP23211. The corn is engineered for insect resistance against corn rootworm and tolerance to glufosinate herbicides.
APHIS is interested in receiving comments regarding potential environmental and interrelated economic impacts to assist in their assessment of the petition as it relates to the National Environmental Policy Act. The public comments received, along with the best available scientific documents, will assist APHIS in determining the appropriate environmental documents to prepare in accordance with our petition process to make a fully informed decision on the regulatory status of this corn variety developed using genetic engineering.
The petition will be available for public review and comment for 60 days, beginning November 2, 2020, and ends on January 4, 2021. For more details, read the notice in the Federal Register.
You might also like:
- FSANZ Seeks Public Comment for GM Corn Approval
- Comparison Between GM and Non-GM Maize Shows No Difference in Composition, Agronomic Traits
- Biotech Crop Annual Update: Maize
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenyan Farmers Start Cultivating Biotech Cotton
- USDA-APHIS Invites Public Comments for Genetically Engineered Corn
- CABBI Team Sequences Miscanthus Genome
- Researchers Map Genome of Agricultural 'Monsters'
- Study Documents How Consumer Knowledge Influence Attitudes Towards GM Foods in Korea
- ASEAN Agriculture and Forestry Ministers Call for Sustained Significant Investment in Rice Research
- Researchers Map Plant Immune System
- Striped Stem Borer-Resistant Rice Developed Using amiRNA Expression Technology
- MitoTALENs Used to Delete Mitochondrial Genes in Arabidopsis
- TALENs Used for Multiple Gene Knockout in Chrysanthemum
- All European Academies Call for Harmonization of the EU Legislation on Genome Editing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: