Australia's Gene Technology Regulator Shares Regulatory Practices with VietnamJune 7, 2017
On May 19, 2017, the Vietnam Academy of Agriculture Science (VAAS) and the Agricultural Genetics Institute (AGI), in collaboration with CropLife Asia, organized a knowledge sharing meeting on Gene Technologies Regulatory Practices – Sharing from Australia. The seminar focused on two topics: Introduction of Gene Technologies and Review of the Gene Technology Regulations of Australia. The topics were shared by Dr. Raj Bhula, the Gene Technology Regulator from Australia's Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR).
The meeting was attended by ~40 representatives from government bodies, academies, scientific institutes, and private companies. Dr. Vasant Patil from CropLife Asia gave the welcome speech, followed by the presentations of Dr. Bhula. The presentations provided basic information on the current regulatory frameworks of Australia on gene technologies and the country's approach on new techniques.
The OGTR is an independent statutory office holder responsible for administering the Gene Technology Act 2000 (the Act) and its corresponding state and territory laws. For more about the OGTR, visit their website. Visit AGI's website for other details.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Report Shows 20 Years of Economic and Environmental Benefits from Biotech/GM Crops
- Public Learns about Biotech for Climate Smart Agriculture at World Environment Day Commemoration in Uganda
- Tanzanian Farmers Urge Gov't to Hasten Delivery of GE Crops
- Salk Scientists Help Plants Pump Iron Using Gene Variants
- Taking the Initial Step Towards Dev't of Epigenetically Modified Cotton
- Current Advances in Genome Editing Technology and its Application in Crop Improvement
- Australia's OGTR Receives License Application for Commercial Release of GM DHA Canola
- Australia's Gene Technology Regulator Shares Regulatory Practices with Vietnam
- India's National Academy of Agricultural Sciences Endorses Commercial Release of GM Mustard
- Scientists Discover Plant 'Brain' Controlling Seed Development
- EFSA Reiterates Previous Risk Assessment Conclusion on NK603 Valid and Applicable
- SbNrat1 Gene in Sorghum Functions for Aluminum Tolerance
- Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology Course
- Development of Gene-Specific Rice Mutants via AvrXa23-based TALENs
- Nagoya University Develops Highly Efficient CRISPR-Cas9 Vector for Arabidopsis
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (October 4, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: