Australia's OGTR Receives License Application for Commercial Release of GM DHA CanolaJune 7, 2017
DIR 155 is for commercial release of a GM canola line, DHA canola which contains seven introduced genes for production of long chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, predominantly docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), in the seed oil. DHA canola also contains a selectable marker gene for glufosinate herbicide tolerance. Nuseed is seeking approval to commercially grow the GM canola in all canola growing areas of Australia. The GM canola and its products would enter general commerce, including use in human food and animal feed.
The OGTR is preparing a Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan for the application which would be released for public comment and further advice from experts, agencies, and authorities in October 2017. There will be at least 30 days allowed for submission of comments.
For more information, including the notice of application, questions and answers, and summary of the license application, visit the DIR 155 page on the OGTR website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Report Shows 20 Years of Economic and Environmental Benefits from Biotech/GM Crops
- Public Learns about Biotech for Climate Smart Agriculture at World Environment Day Commemoration in Uganda
- Tanzanian Farmers Urge Gov't to Hasten Delivery of GE Crops
- Salk Scientists Help Plants Pump Iron Using Gene Variants
- Taking the Initial Step Towards Dev't of Epigenetically Modified Cotton
- Current Advances in Genome Editing Technology and its Application in Crop Improvement
- Australia's OGTR Receives License Application for Commercial Release of GM DHA Canola
- Australia's Gene Technology Regulator Shares Regulatory Practices with Vietnam
- India's National Academy of Agricultural Sciences Endorses Commercial Release of GM Mustard
- Scientists Discover Plant 'Brain' Controlling Seed Development
- EFSA Reiterates Previous Risk Assessment Conclusion on NK603 Valid and Applicable
- SbNrat1 Gene in Sorghum Functions for Aluminum Tolerance
- Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology Course
- Development of Gene-Specific Rice Mutants via AvrXa23-based TALENs
- Nagoya University Develops Highly Efficient CRISPR-Cas9 Vector for Arabidopsis
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: