Video: Hawaii GMO Papaya Real Solutions Real LivesFebruary 1, 2017
The Cornell Alliance for Science released a 30-minute documentary titled Hawaii GMO Papaya: Real Solutions, Real Lives. This video summarizes Cornell University's development of the transgenic, ringspot-resistant papaya, which saved the Hawaii papaya industry. It also chronicles the rise of the anti-GMO movement in Hawaii, which targeted the transgenic papaya. Anti-GMO activism has meanwhile halted transgenic papaya research in Venezuela and Thailand. In the video, Hawaii farmers talk about what the GMO papaya means to them, the challenges facing tropical agriculture, and the need for inclusive dialogue to correct misinformation and heal the polarization around the GMO issue.
Watch the video now on Youtube.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Uganda MP Wants Constituents to be First Beneficiaries of GM Crops
- AATF Establishes First Early Generation Seed Production Entity in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Research Discovers How Plants "Turn Off" Immune Response after Confronting Pathogens
- University of Florida Research Team Discovers Genetic Key to Restoring Tomato Flavor
- International Collaboration to Discover Sources of Genetic Resistance to Corn Diseases
- Study Shows Effects of Soil Salinity on Cry1Ac Expression in Bt Cotton
- Seed-specific Overexpression of BASS2 Enhances Oil Production in Arabidopsis Seeds
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Programming Antiviral Defenses in Plants through Genome Editing
- Researchers Use CRISPR/Cas9 for Precise Excision of Transgenes from Rice Genome
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Genomes of Two Human Malaria Species Revealed
- Scientists Develop New System that Use Mobile Phone to Treat Disease
- 4th Conference of Cereal Biotechnology and Breeding
- ISAAA in 2016
- The National Academies Releases Book on GE Crop Study
- Video: Hawaii GMO Papaya Real Solutions Real Lives
Subscribe to CBU: