Overexpression of AhNF-YC from Amaranth Modifies Growth and Confers Drought Stress Resistance in ArabidopsisSeptember 9, 2015
Nuclear factor-Y (NF-Y) is a plant transcription factor composed of NF-YA, NF-YB and NF-YC subunits. The function of many NF-Y A and B subunits has been studied in plants, but knowledge of the C subunit remains unknown.
Researchers from Mexico, led by Paola A. Palmeros-Suárez, characterized AhNF-YC, a water stress-induced NF-YC gene from amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus). The team then overexpressed it in transgenic Arabidospis thaliana plants for further characterization.
The gene was inferred to have a role in development, judging from the modified growth rates in plant parts of the modified Arabidopsis plants. The overexpression of AhNF-YC also caused increased seedling sensitivity to abscisic acid (ABA), and influenced the expression of several genes involved in secondary metabolism, development and ABA-related responses. The altered expression of the ABA-related responses conferred increased water stress resistance.
AhNF-YC may play an important regulatory role in both development and stress, and is a candidate gene for development of abiotic stress resistance in crops.
For more information on the study, read the article on Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UN Helps Developing Countries Enhance Their Climate Change Adaptation Strategies
- Kenya's NBA Receives Public Comments as it Examines Bt Maize Environmental Release Application
- Kenyan Parliamentarians Endorse Government Plan to Lift GMO Ban
- Major Vernalization Gene in Wheat Identified
- Australian OGTR Approves Field Trials of GM Cotton
- ICAR Emphasizes Importance of Field Trials of GM Crops
- South Korea President Park: Make Agriculture a Key Industry
- EU's Agriculture Committee Opposes National Bans on GM Food and Feed Imports
- Lipid Transfer Protein OsLTPL36 Essential in Seed Development and Seed Quality in Rice
- Modification of Resistance Gene Promoter for Broad-Spectrum Resistance to Bacterial Blight in Rice
- Overexpression of AhNF-YC from Amaranth Modifies Growth and Confers Drought Stress Resistance in Arabidopsis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Successfully Edit Dengue Fever Mosquito Genes
- A Promising H7N9 Vaccine from the Fusion Protein of Hemagglutinin Globular Head and Bacterial Flagellin
From the BICs
- Seminar on Global Socio-Economic and Environmental Impacts in Indonesia
- Panel of Scientists to Answer Questions about GMO
- Country Biotech Facts and Trends
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: