Lipid Transfer Protein OsLTPL36 Essential in Seed Development and Seed Quality in RiceSeptember 9, 2015
Storage lipid is a vital component of seed storage substances and valuable for rice quality. However, lipid transport-related genes and their function in seed development are still not well understood.
A team led by Xin Wang of the Huazhong Agricultural University in China identified OsLTPL36, a lipid transport protein, and its specific expression in developing rice seed coat and endosperm. Down-regulated expression of OsLTPL36 led to decreased seed setting rate and 1000-grain weight in transgenic plants.
The researchers found that engineered lines with suppressed expression of OsLTPL36 exhibited chalky endosperm and had reduced fat acid content compared to wild types. Delayed embryo development, impeded seed germination and puny seedlings were also observed in the OsLTPL36 RNAi lines.
The results suggest that OsLTPL36, a lipid transporter, is critical for seed quality in seed development and germination in rice.
For more information on the study, see the article at Plant Science.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UN Helps Developing Countries Enhance Their Climate Change Adaptation Strategies
- Kenya's NBA Receives Public Comments as it Examines Bt Maize Environmental Release Application
- Kenyan Parliamentarians Endorse Government Plan to Lift GMO Ban
- Major Vernalization Gene in Wheat Identified
- Australian OGTR Approves Field Trials of GM Cotton
- ICAR Emphasizes Importance of Field Trials of GM Crops
- South Korea President Park: Make Agriculture a Key Industry
- EU's Agriculture Committee Opposes National Bans on GM Food and Feed Imports
- Lipid Transfer Protein OsLTPL36 Essential in Seed Development and Seed Quality in Rice
- Modification of Resistance Gene Promoter for Broad-Spectrum Resistance to Bacterial Blight in Rice
- Overexpression of AhNF-YC from Amaranth Modifies Growth and Confers Drought Stress Resistance in Arabidopsis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Successfully Edit Dengue Fever Mosquito Genes
- A Promising H7N9 Vaccine from the Fusion Protein of Hemagglutinin Globular Head and Bacterial Flagellin
From the BICs
- Seminar on Global Socio-Economic and Environmental Impacts in Indonesia
- Panel of Scientists to Answer Questions about GMO
- Country Biotech Facts and Trends
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (May 18, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (May 18, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (April 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: