Philippines Prepares for Golden Rice Seed DeploymentMay 11, 2022
The Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) is currently getting ready for the deployment of Golden Rice to farmers by ramping up its seed production operations.
Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary William Dar led the ceremonial handover of the Golden Rice seeds to seed growers and producers during his visit to PhilRice Central Experiment Station in the Science City of Muñoz in the province of Nueva Ecija on May 6, 2022. The seed workers and producers will participate in the expanded Golden Rice seed production this coming wet season planting in the Philippines. Regional DA research and experimental stations in the provinces of Ilocos Norte and Isabela also received seeds a week prior.
The ceremonial event comes after the receipt of approval for commercial propagation of Golden Rice on July 21, 2021. Golden Rice is a rice variety that was genetically engineered to contain additional levels of beta-carotene which is then converted into vitamin A by the human body. It was intended to be a complementary intervention to vitamin A deficiency, the most common cause of childhood blindness and a contributing factor to a weakened immune system. Golden Rice has been assessed to be as safe as conventional rice with the added benefit of beta-carotene in the grains in five countries, the Philippines included.
Learn more from PhilRice.
You might also like:
- Golden Rice Now Approved for Commercial Planting in the Philippines
- GM Approval Database Event Name: GR2E
- Golden Rice Has Same Nutrients as Traditional Rice Except for the Increased Provitamin A Content
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Gene Discovery Transfers Rust Resistance to Wheat from Wild Relative
- Gene Drive Organisms: There is No One Size Fits All
- Machine Learning Model Could Help Reduce Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- U.S. EPA and State of Florida Approve Oxitec's Second Pilot Project in the Florida Keys
- NASA Climate Scientist Cynthia Rosenzweig is the 2022 World Food Prize Laureate
- Experts Develop Plant Wearables to Measure Water Loss
- Philippines Prepares for Golden Rice Seed Deployment
- HB4® Wheat Gets Approval in Australia and New Zealand
- UK to Bring Forward a Genetic Technology Bill for Sustainable Agriculture
- Cold Stress-responsive Gene from Ornamental Grass Provides Resilience to Environmental Stress
- Purslane as Green-bioreactor for Expression of Human Serum Albumin Gene
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Potato with Amylose-free Starch Developed thru CRISPR-Cas9 Editing
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (May 18, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (May 18, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (April 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: