Researchers Explore Impact of Nanomaterials on Plants under Salt StressMarch 9, 2022
The use of nanoparticles is one of the emerging techniques in stimulating specific biochemical reactions related to plant ecophysiological output. They are efficient tools in this process because of their small size, increased surface area and absorption rate, efficient catalysis of reactions, and reactive sites. Regulating the ecophysiological condition in saline environments could aid in plant growth and resilience of plants under stress.
According to the authors, the metabolic profiles of plants can be improved using genomic, proteomic, metabolic, and transcriptomic techniques. Furthermore, they also encourage more studies on the plant salinity stress response based on molecular interactions in response to nanoparticle treatment. Though the continuous release of nanoparticles in the surrounding soil may have negative and positive impacts on plant growth and development, it was found that low concentrations of nanoparticles could be beneficial and must be explored further through research.
The authors also discussed some points to be addressed in developing salt tolerant plants.
Read the feature paper in Plants.
You might also like:
- Pocket K No. 39: Nanotechnology in Agriculture
- Study Highlights The Role of Communication in Novel Food Acceptance
- Scientists Discover Gene that Confers Flood Tolerance, Drought Tolerance, and Disease Resistance in Rice
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Climate Change Affecting Billions of Lives; Impacts Irreversible, Latest IPCC Report Says
- Researchers Discover Imbalanced Expression of Genes Help Improve Wheat Yield
- AU Government Backs Research on Preventing Crop Frost Damage Using “Ice Nucleating” Bacteria
- Philippine Government Updates Biotech Regulations to Speed Up Approvals
- Potato Genome Decoded by German Research Team
- New Transporter Identified to Help Balance Zinc and Iron Homeostasis in Maize
- Researchers Explore Impact of Nanomaterials on Plants under Salt Stress
- Study Provides Clues in Breeding Stress-resistant Tortured Willow
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: