New Transporter Identified to Help Balance Zinc and Iron Homeostasis in MaizeMarch 9, 2022
A maize transporter responsible for the regulation of iron and zinc in balance in maize was identified by a team of Chinese scientists. The discovery provides opportunities for genetic resources and a theoretical basis for developing iron-fortified corn varieties.
Scientists from the Biotechnology Research Institute and Qingdao Agricultural University were responsible for identifying the novel iron-regulated transporter ZmIRT2. The transporter was involved in reversing growth defects involving both zinc and iron uptake in mutant yeast. More importantly, its expression in maize caused zinc and iron accumulation in the roots, shoots, and seeds. Further analysis showed that ZmIRT2 along with ZmIRT1 and ZmYS1, other transporters, previously identified by scientists, all function cooperatively to maintain zinc and iron homeostasis, and that ZmIRT2 and ZmIRT1 function together to mediate iron update in roots.
This discovery can help maize breeders understand the mechanism of iron absorption in plants and lead to the development of better varieties with high iron contents.
You might also like:
- International Team First to Successfully Stack Virus Resistance Plus Iron and Zinc Biofortification in a Non-Cereal Crop
- VIB Conducts Three Field Trials of Genome-Edited Maize
- New Tool Helps Strip Down Corn Ancestor's Traits for Research Exploration
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Climate Change Affecting Billions of Lives; Impacts Irreversible, Latest IPCC Report Says
- Researchers Discover Imbalanced Expression of Genes Help Improve Wheat Yield
- AU Government Backs Research on Preventing Crop Frost Damage Using “Ice Nucleating” Bacteria
- Philippine Government Updates Biotech Regulations to Speed Up Approvals
- Potato Genome Decoded by German Research Team
- New Transporter Identified to Help Balance Zinc and Iron Homeostasis in Maize
- Researchers Explore Impact of Nanomaterials on Plants under Salt Stress
- Study Provides Clues in Breeding Stress-resistant Tortured Willow
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: