China Approves Import of Two GM Corn VarietiesJanuary 27, 2021
China's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs has approved two genetically modified (GM) corn varieties from Bayer AG and Syngenta AG for importation. The two varieties, herbicide tolerant and insect resistant MON87411 and MZIR098 are approved for imports for five years starting December 2020, according to a list published on the Ministry website.
The approvals are said to come at a time when there is a surge in demand for animal feed. China's corn imports have reached a record as the domestic hog population is rebounding fast from African swine fever.
For more details, read the article from World Grain.
You might also like:
- China Announces Plan to Issue Biosafety Certificates for GM Soybean and Corn
- Chinese Agri Ministry Approves Import of 5 GM Crops
- GM Crop Imports to China Could Increase Brazil's Soy Exports
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Agri Ministers Outline Strategies to Feed the World in Times of Pandemics and Climate Change
- MIT Researchers Grow Wood-like Cells in Lab to Streamline Bio-materials Production
- USDA APHIS Deregulates Genetically Engineered Orange Petunias
- Factors Affecting Chinese Social Media Users' Emotions on GM Food Safety Documented
- China Approves Import of Two GM Corn Varieties
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion on Six-Event Stack Maize
- European Commission Authorizes Eight GM Crops for Food and Feed
- Triploid, Hexaploid Paintbrush Lilies Developed Simultaneously Using Endosperm Culture
- Salt Tolerant Red Gum Tree Does Not Harm Biodiversity
- A New Variant of CRISPR-Cas9 Could Enable Mutation on Nearly Any Plant Genomic Sequence
- Researchers Report a Simple and Efficient TALE Using Twin Primer Assembly
- Testing of COVID-19 Vaccine for Children Ongoing
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: