Ectopic Expression of a Grape Nitrate Transporter Boosts Nitrogen Use Efficiency in ArabidopsisDecember 9, 2020
Researchers from the Shanghai Academy of Agricultural Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Sciences conducted a study to identify the function of VvNPF6.5, a member of nitrate transporter 1/peptide transporter family (NRT1/PTR/NPF) in grapes. The results are published in BMC Plant Biology.
Nitrate is vital in the vegetative and reproductive development of grapevines. However, the molecular mechanisms involved in the process remain to be unclear. Thus, the researchers conducted a functional characterization of VvNPF6.5. Results showed that VvNPF6.5 is expressed predominantly in roots and stems and its expression is rapidly induced by nitrate. Ectopic expression of VvNPF6.5 in Arabidopsis caused nitrate buildup in shoots and roots while significantly enhancing nitroge nuse efficiency. The findings also imply that VvNPF6.5 could be involved in nitrate signaling by positively regulating the expression of primary nitrate response genes.
Read the open-access article in BMC Plant Biology.
You might also like:
- CRISPR-mediated Targeted Mutagenesis in Grape
- Solar Ultraviolet Radiation May Improve Grape Fruit and Wine Quality
- Nitrogen Use Efficient Biotech Crops
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Study Decodes the Genome of 15 Wheat Varieties
- International Animal Biotech Webinars Wrap Up for 2020
- ISAAA Webinar: Global Status of Biotech Crops and the Philippine Adoption Experience
- Locust Genome Could Help Find Solutions to Pest's Swarming Behavior
- International Research Team Publishes Barley Pan-Genome
- Filipino Researchers Develop Motion Tracker for Eggplant's Most Vicious Pest
- Biotech Maize Area in Vietnam Expands to 92,000 Hectares
- Research Team Discovers Strategy to Make Plants More Salt Tolerant
- Ectopic Expression of a Grape Nitrate Transporter Boosts Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Arabidopsis
- GM Birch Tree Study Shows Promising Results Against Insect Herbivores
- Two Studies Reveal Retron's Function and its Genome-editing Potential
- COVID-19 Test Uses CRISPR and Smartphone Camera
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: