Solar Ultraviolet Radiation May Improve Grape Fruit and Wine QualityJuly 23, 2014
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation affects the expression of several phenylpropanoid biosynthesis-related genes, which in turn affects the final composition of both grapes and wines. However, the full influence of solar UV radiation in grapes remains relatively unknown.
Researchers from the Universidad de La Rioja, Edificio Científico-Tecnológico in Spain found 121 grape genes which had altered expressions due to solar UV radiation. Analysis of the grape berry skin revealed that genes up-regulated by UV radiation were mostly UV-B -responsive genes. Secondary metabolism-related genes were also induced by UV radiation including flavonol biosynthetic and monoterpenoid biosynthetic genes.
Results suggest that the biosynthesis and accumulation of secondary metabolites, which adds quality in winemaking, were triggered by UV radiation exposure. This may lead to additional treatments or practices that may increase solar UV radiation on vineyards since they may improve grape features.
For more information on the study, visit http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2229/14/183/abstract.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Brief 47: The Status of Commercialized Bt Brinjal in Bangladesh
- Genetic Blueprint of Bread Wheat Genome Unveiled
- Global Biotech Groups Unite
- US House Agri Subcommittee Highlights Benefits of Biotech
- Report Shows GM Corn Area Nearly Doubled in a Decade
- Hokkaido Farmers Hopeful for Field Trials of GM Crops
- Less Chlorophyll to Boost Wheat Yields
- Novel Gene for Salt Tolerance Found in Wild Soybean
- Korea Holds Plant Breeding Symposium
- Researchers Capture Genetic Snapshot of Maize
- Scientists Watch Photosynthesis in Action
- Solar Ultraviolet Radiation May Improve Grape Fruit and Wine Quality
- Rhodococcus Requires Only a Single Cytokinin to Cause Gall Symptoms.
- MLO Gene Family may Hold Key to Powdery Mildew Resistance in Rosaceae Species
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Chlamydial Infection in Men Causes Apoptosis of Sperm Cells
- Bioinformatics Training
- Country Biotech Facts and Trends
- Infographic on GM Safety
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: