Q&A: COVID-19 Pandemic's Impact on Food and AgricultureAugust 19, 2020
Unless immediate actions are executed, a global food emergency could take place which will have long-term impacts on hundreds of millions of children and adults. This is according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)'s Q&A: COVID-19 Pandemic – Impact on Food and Agriculture, which aims to inform the public about its efforts to address concerns on the current pandemic.
FAO believes that a global food emergency can still be prevented. They recommended the following actions to be taken immediately: protect the most vulnerable, keep global food supply chains alive, mitigate the pandemic's impacts across the food system, protect and even ramp up food production as much as possible, and looking beyond the pandemic, building back better, more resilient food systems.
Aside from issues concerning food security, FAO also addressed 12 frequently asked questions regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on food and agriculture.Read more from FAO.
You might also like:
- Food Security Expert Says COVID-19 Pandemic Calls for Reassessment of Food Systems
- Global Report Reveals Scope of Food Crises as COVID-19 Poses New Risks to Vulnerable Countries
- Study: Food Security Needs More from GM Crops
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Evidence Shows GM Foods Do Not Cause Infertility
- Scientists Decode Complete Sequence of Human Chromosome X for the First Time
- Groups Push for Bt Brinjal Field Trials in India
- Europeans Now Less Skeptic About GMOs
- Wheat Gene Confers Stem Rust Resistance to Barley
- New Biofortification Method Transforms Leaves into Nutrient Stores
- Study Shows Fate of Multiple Bt Proteins from Bt Maize in the Predatory Lady Beetle
- CRISPR-Cas RNA Targeting Using Transient Cas13a Expression in Nicotiana benthamiana
- Yield10's CRISPR Genome-Edited C3007 Canola Trait in 2021 US Field Tests
- Researchers Discover Vulnerability in SARS-CoV-2
- Q&A: COVID-19 Pandemic's Impact on Food and Agriculture
- Team of Experts Develop Nasal Spray Against COVID-19 Virus
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: