CRISPR-Cas RNA Targeting Using Transient Cas13a Expression in Nicotiana benthamianaAugust 19, 2020
Scientists from Kansas State University described a new method for CRISPR-Cas RNA targeting using transient Cas13a expression in Nicotiana benthamiana. The details are published in RNA Abundance Analysis and discussed in the book Methods in Molecular Biology.
The use of CRISPR-Cas prokaryotic immune system for single-stranded RNA targeting is expected to have vital importance in RNA analysis and engineering. The class 2 Type VI CRISPR-Cas13 system is an RNA-guided RNA-nuclease system that can bind and cleave target single-stranded RNA substrates in a sequence-specific manner. Aside from RNAi, the Cas13a system has applications from manipulating RNA modifications, including editing RNA sequence and use as a nucleic acid detection tool.
The new protocol presented uses Cas13a ortholog from Leptotrichia buccalis for transient expression in plant cells providing antiviral defense. The vital details are presented in the book chapter, including information on cloning the Cas13 protein, crRNA guide cassette, performing transient Agrobacterium-mediated expression of the necessary Cas13a components, and target RNA-virus, visualization of virus infection, and molecular quantification of viral accumulation using quantitative PCR.
Read the necessary information in RNA Abundance Analysis.
You might also like:
- CRISPR Technique 90% Effective in Reducing SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus
- Broad Institute Researchers Present CRISPR-based SHERLOCK Platform
- Plant Breeding Innovation: CRISPR-Cas9
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- Researchers Discover Vulnerability in SARS-CoV-2
- Q&A: COVID-19 Pandemic's Impact on Food and Agriculture
- Team of Experts Develop Nasal Spray Against COVID-19 Virus
News from Around the World
- Evidence Shows GM Foods Do Not Cause Infertility
- Scientists Decode Complete Sequence of Human Chromosome X for the First Time
- Groups Push for Bt Brinjal Field Trials in India
- Europeans Now Less Skeptic About GMOs
- Wheat Gene Confers Stem Rust Resistance to Barley
- New Biofortification Method Transforms Leaves into Nutrient Stores
- Study Shows Fate of Multiple Bt Proteins from Bt Maize in the Predatory Lady Beetle
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas RNA Targeting Using Transient Cas13a Expression in Nicotiana benthamiana
- Yield10's CRISPR Genome-Edited C3007 Canola Trait in 2021 US Field Tests
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (September 21, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (September 21, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (August 31, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: