Bt Eggplant Can Boost Marketable Yield by 192% in PHDecember 18, 2019
Fruit and shoot borer (FSB) can cause 20 to 92% yield loss in eggplant production pushing Filipino farmers to spray insecticide up to 4 times a week. With the use of Bt technology, researchers from the University of the Philippines Los Baños developed an insect resistant eggplant. This is according to the latest ISAAA infographics titled Which Eggplant Will You Choose?
The infographic shows a comparison of using conventional and Bt eggplant in terms of FSB infestation, in terms of insecticide use, marketable yield, effects on non-target organisms, and benefits to farmers' well-being. When farmers use conventional eggplant, they are exposed to a broad spectrum of insecticides, ranging from non-toxic to highly toxic brands. The reported effects of such insecticides include dermal irritation, respiratory problems, altered vascular function, occupational skin cancer, and paralysis of body parts.
Bt eggplant, once it becomes available in the Philippines for planting, is projected to boost marketable yield by 192%, increase the income of farmers, promote better health for their families, thus, giving farmers peace of mind.
The infographics, available for download in the ISAAA website, is based on the Socioeconomic Impacts of Bt Eggplant: Ex-ante Case Studies in the Philippines.
You might also like:
- Socioeconomic Impacts of Bt Eggplant: Ex-ante Case Studies in the Philippines
- Philippines Research Shows Bt Eggplant Does Not Harm Non-target Insects
- Pocket K No. 48: Bt Eggplant
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Nigeria Commercializes Pod Borer Resistant Cowpea, its First GM Food Crop
- Scientists Discover Corn Gene for Abundant Kernels
- Bt Eggplant Can Boost Marketable Yield by 192% in PH
- Philippines Approves Golden Rice for Direct Use as Food and Feed, or for Processing
- Agri-biotech Vital for Future Food Security, Pakistan S&T Minister Declares
- Rothamsted Research Study Finds European Wheat Can Yield Far More Than Current Production
- Research Team Discovers Genes Driving Plant Architecture
- New Eco-friendly Protein Antibiotics Fight Off Crop Diseases
- New Methods Promise to Speed Up Development of New Plant Varieties
- Rice Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 to Develop High-yielding Semi-dwarf Rice Lines
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: