OsABA8ox2 Suppresses Root Elongation and Contributes to Drought Response in RiceJanuary 8, 2020
Researchers from the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences investigated the function of OsABA8ox in root growth and development and drought response and found that it is a potential genetic target for improvement of rice drought tolerance. The results are released in The Crop Journal.
OsABA8ox encodes abscisic acid (ABA) 8′-hydroxylase, which catalyzes the committed step of ABA catabolism. Since the contribution of ABA catabolism in root development remains unclear, the researchers conducted a study using the CRISPR-Cas9 system. Staining analysis showed that OsABA8ox was expressed mainly in roots at seedling stage and was strongly expressed in the meristematic zone of the radicle. OsABA8ox2 expression in roots was reduced after polyethylene glycol (PEG) treatment and increased after rehydration, which imply that OsABA8ox2 is a drought-responsive gene.
CRISPR-Cas9 OsABA8ox2 knockout exhibited increased drought-induced ABA and indole-3-acetic acid build up in roots, conferred increased ABA sensitivity, and promoted a more vertically oriented root system architecture beneficial to drought tolerance. Overexpression of the gene resulted in suppressed root elongation and increased stomatal conductance and transpiration rate.
Based on the findings, OsABA8ox2 knockout significantly enhances rice drought tolerance.
Read more findings in The Crop Journal.
You might also like:
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 Technology to Improve Drought and Salt Tolerance in Rice
- Pocket K No. 32: Biotechnology for the Development of Drought Tolerant Crops
- Pocket K No. 54: Plant Breeding Innovation: CRISPR-Cas9
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Vitamin A-Enriched Rice Approval in PH Gets Support from Golden Rice Humanitarian Board
- Technology to Accelerate Search for Drought Tolerant Chickpeas
- PH Solon Lauds Approval of Golden Rice, Endorses Passage of Nat'l Biotech Law
- Punjab Seed Council Approves New Bt Cotton Variety
- China Announces Plan to Issue Biosafety Certificates for GM Soybean and Corn
- South Australia Lifts Ban on GM Crops
- PH President Confers Order of National Scientist to Biotech Champ
- Protein in Tomato Explains Long-standing Plant Immunity Mystery
- HKU Plant Scientists Identify Strategy to Enhance Rice Grain Yield
- GM Poplar Field Trials Result to Sustainable Biomass Production Without Isoprene Emission
- OsABA8ox2 Suppresses Root Elongation and Contributes to Drought Response in Rice
- Functional FLN2 Vital in Salinity Tolerance of Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: