Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 Technology to Improve Drought and Salt Tolerance in RiceJanuary 10, 2018
The ∆ 1 -pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase (P5CS) is the rate-limiting enzyme in proline (Pro) synthesis and is involved in drought and salt stress tolerance in plants. An OsP5CS gene was isolated from a stress-treated commercial rice variety, BC15.
The length of rice OsP5CS was 2173 nucleotides, containing an ORF encoding for 716 amino acids with two regulatory amino acid residues Asp and Phe. Amino acid sequence alignment of P5CS proteins indicated that P5CS has homology among rice, corn, tobacco, bean and tomato. BC15 OsP5CS also showed the 99.6% similarity to OsP5CS of GeneBank-registed Nipponbare rice (AC111016.2).
Based on the DNA isolated sequence, four gRNA (guide RNA) constructs were designed for CRISPR-Cas9 editing of BC15 OsP5CS in order to increase the Pro accumulation in cells. This study laid the foundation for the development of high-yielding rice varieties resistant to drought and salinity using genome editing technology.
Read the original article in Vietnamese from the Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Team of International Scientists Unlocks Peanut's Genetic Code
- IITA Begins Confined Field Trials of Transgenic Cassava
- Global Research Team Identifies Pathogen Gene that Wheat Plants Detect to ‘Switch On' Resistance
- Salk Scientists Discover Unusual Immune Response of Plants to Bacterial Infection
- Researchers Find Genetic Mechanism that Could Enhance Yield of Cereal Crops
- FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Provitamin A Rice Line GR2E
- European Commission Authorizes Six GM Crops for Food and Feed
- TaHDZipI-5 Involved in Drought and Frost Tolerance in Wheat
- Plastocyanin Gene from Seepweed Improves Oxidative Stress Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Overexpression of PaFKBP12 in Arabidopsis Enhances Tolerance to Multiple Stresses
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 Technology to Improve Drought and Salt Tolerance in Rice
- Genome Editing of CLAVATA Genes in Canola Regulates Multilocular Silique Development
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Find Gene Involved in Arsenic Resistance in Poplar
From the BICs
- Workshop Discusses Importance of Biotech in Sustainable Agri Dev't in Vietnam
- ISAAA Blog: How Filipino News Writers Define Biotechnology
Subscribe to CBU: