Nicotiana benthamiana as Suitable System for Expression of Cotton Boll Weevil α-amylase InhibitorMarch 20, 2019
Cotton boll weevil is one of the most destructive pests of cotton in the Americas. Institut de L'Environnement et de Recherches Agricoles (INERA) scientist, Severine Lacombe, and colleagues developed an α-amylase inhibitor (α-AIC3) variant using molecular evolution strategy to impede the action of cotton boll weevil (Anthonomus grandis). The findings are published in BMC Biotechnology.
The researchers produced α-AIC3 using a temporary expression system in Nicotiana benthamiana, a relative of tobacco. Structural and functional characterization of α-AIC3 showed that it has the ability to inhibit up to 100% of A. grandis α-amylase, while it had no effect on the α-amylase of two other non-pathogenic insects.
The results imply that N. bethamiana is a suitable system for high-level production of biologically active α-AIC3. The data also suggest that α-AIC3 could be a potential candidate for the production of GM crops with resistance to cotton boll weevil.
Read the research article in BMC Biotechnology.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Production of Transgenic Plants Increased as Expected, Study Shows
- Genome Editing Offers Great Prospects for South Africa
- Strong Sales Figures Indicate Demand for GM Non-browning Apple
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments on GM Chickpea Field Trial
- USDA FAS-GAIN Evaluates China's 2018 Ag-biotech Industry
- Global Team of Experts Reinventing Sugarcane for More Applications
- Scientists Release Most Complete Genome Assemblies of Cotton
- Experts in Japan Conclude Gene-Edited Foods are Safe
- Biologists Explain Genetic Origins of Saffron Crocus
- Nicotiana benthamiana as Suitable System for Expression of Cotton Boll Weevil α-amylase Inhibitor
- Soybean Cotyledon Used as Platform for Production of Therapeutic Proteins
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Modern Beer Yeast Emerged from Mix of European Grape Wine, Asian Rice Wine Yeast
- GMO Fun Facts: What is GMO in Full?
- UC Berkeley Physicist Reports a New High Precision Method for Genetic Engineering and Gene Editing
- Scientists Discover One-Step Genome Editing Technique that Accelerates Seed Breeding
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: