ThPP1 Gene Enhances Alkali Stress Tolerance in Transgenic RiceDecember 13, 2017
Inorganic pyrophosphorylase is essential in the hydrolysis of pyrophosphate to inorganic phosphate during plant growth. Chinese scientists led by Rui He of Shenyang Agricultural University and the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, studied the transgenic rice overexpressing a soluble inorganic pyrophosphatase gene, ThPP1, from salt cress (Thellungiella halophila) in response to alkaline stress (AS).
Analysis showed that the transgenic lines revealed an enhanced tolerance to AS compared to the wild type. A total of 379 differentially-expressed genes were also found to be upregulated in the leaves of the transgenic lines. Further analysis shows that the enhanced tolerance of the transgenic rice to AS seems to be associated with the upregulation of the osmotic stress-related genes.
This study suggests that the ThPP1 gene plays an important regulatory role in conferring the tolerance of the transgenic rice to AS, and is a candidate in breeding for crop cultivation for alkaline tolerance.
For more on this study, read the article in Plant Cell Reports.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Calls for Urgent Actions to Reverse the Rise in Hunger
- Global Impact of Not Planting Herbicide Tolerant Crops Due to Glyphosate Ban
- Study Identifies Genetic Basis of Western Corn Rootworm Resistance
- New Technique to Help Plant Breeders Develop Drought Resistant Varieties Faster
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Perennial Ryegrass
- Max Planck Researchers Engineer Key Enzyme in Photosynthesis
- DND1-Silencing in Potato and Tomato Confers Resistance to Botrytis cinerea
- ThPP1 Gene Enhances Alkali Stress Tolerance in Transgenic Rice
- Arabidopsis' AtGOLS1 Gene Negatively Regulates Seed Germination
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Salk Scientists Use Modified CRISPR System to Treat Diseases
- Sugarcane in Africa
- Biotech Crop and Traits Annual Updates
- ISAAA Blog: Clive James and ISAAA, Top Sources of Info on Biotech in the Philippines
- Indian Researchers Test CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in Banana
- Lignin Reduction Observed in CRISPR-Edited Switchgrass
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: