Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Perennial RyegrassDecember 13, 2017
The Australian Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (OGTR) is currently assessing license application DIR 160 from the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources in Victoria, for a field trial (limited and controlled release) of perennial ryegrass genetically modified (GM) for fructan biosynthesis.
The field trial will assess the agronomic characteristics of the GM perennial ryegrass plants under field conditions and to multiply seed for future trials. The field trial is proposed to be conducted between May 2018 and June 2020 in southwest Victoria on a maximum area of 160 m2 per year. The GM perennial ryegrass grown in this field trial would not be used in human food or animal feed.
The Gene Regulator has prepared the Risk Assessment and Risk Management Plan (RARMP) for the application which concludes that the proposed release would pose negligible risk to human health and safety or to the environment. The Regulator welcomes written submissions to finalize the RARMP, which will then inform the decision on whether or not to issue the license. Submissions should be received by close of business on January 18, 2018.
For more details, read the DIR 160 documents available at the OGTR website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Calls for Urgent Actions to Reverse the Rise in Hunger
- Global Impact of Not Planting Herbicide Tolerant Crops Due to Glyphosate Ban
- Study Identifies Genetic Basis of Western Corn Rootworm Resistance
- New Technique to Help Plant Breeders Develop Drought Resistant Varieties Faster
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Perennial Ryegrass
- Max Planck Researchers Engineer Key Enzyme in Photosynthesis
- DND1-Silencing in Potato and Tomato Confers Resistance to Botrytis cinerea
- ThPP1 Gene Enhances Alkali Stress Tolerance in Transgenic Rice
- Arabidopsis' AtGOLS1 Gene Negatively Regulates Seed Germination
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Salk Scientists Use Modified CRISPR System to Treat Diseases
- Sugarcane in Africa
- Biotech Crop and Traits Annual Updates
- ISAAA Blog: Clive James and ISAAA, Top Sources of Info on Biotech in the Philippines
- Indian Researchers Test CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in Banana
- Lignin Reduction Observed in CRISPR-Edited Switchgrass
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: