Arabidopsis Elongator Genes Enhance Disease Resistance in StrawberryDecember 6, 2017
Elongator is a multitasking protein complex involved in diverse cellular processes, including histone modification, DNA methylation, and tRNA modification. In recent years, the Elongator protein emerged as a key regulator of plant immune responses. However, characterization of its function in plant immunity has been conducted only in the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Thus, it is unclear if its role in plant immunity is conserved in higher plants.
The team of Katchen Julliany P. Silva from the University of Florida characterized the transgenic woodland strawberry (Fragaria vesca L.) overexpressing two Arabidopsis Elongator (AtELP) genes, AtELP3 and AtELP4, and determined whether strawberry carries a functional Elongator gene.
Overexpression of AtELP3 and AtELP4 in strawberry conferred enhanced resistance to anthracnose crown rot, powdery mildew, and angular leaf spot. Further analysis showed that the strawberry genome has six Elongator protein subunits, including the FvELP4 subunit, which is encoded by two homologous genes. Expressed FvELP4–1 in an Arabidopsis mutant also proved that FvELP4 is biologically functional.
Elongator genes may hold potential in lessening disease severity and reducing fungicide application in strawberry industry.
For more on this study, read the article in BMC Plant Biology.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Urgent Action Needed to Combat Fast-spreading Pests and Diseases that Harm Food Security
- Plant and Animal Innovation Experts Discuss Practical Strategies to Advance Plant Breeding
- African Agri Researchers Trained on Science Communication
- Research Team from US, China, and France Releases Genome Sequence of Bottle Gourd
- Plant Biologist Wins the 2018 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences
- Genes from Drought Resistant Plants Could Help Create Water Efficient Crops
- Researchers Discover Gene for Flowering also Directs Root Growth in Wheat and Barley
- Study Shows that Golden Rice Could Benefit Bangladesh
- USDA FAS Releases Annual Agbiotech Report for Japan
- Glyphosate Gets 5-Year Renewal in the European Union
- European Science Academies Call for Urgent Action on Food and Nutrition Security
- Arabidopsis Elongator Genes Enhance Disease Resistance in Strawberry
- miR172c and NNC1 Regulate Root Plastic Development in Response to Salt Stress in Soybean
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends
- CRISPR-Cas9 and TALENs Used to Generate Mutants for Studying Small RNA in Legumes
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: