European Science Academies Call for Urgent Action on Food and Nutrition SecurityDecember 6, 2017
For plants and animals in agriculture, the report presented the following recommendations:
- For livestock, determining how to capitalize on genomics research for food production and for animal health and welfare. This includes the rapidly advancing science of genome editing and the increasing significance of characterizing genetic material conserved in gene banks.
- For the oceans, improving the knowledge base for sustainable harvest and culturing of lower trophic level marine resources and exploring the potential for biomass provision to diminish pressures on agricultural land, freshwater and fertilizers.
- For crops, progressing understanding of the genetics and metabolomics of plant product quality. This also includes capitalizing on the new opportunities coming within range for the targeted modification of crops using genome editing.
- For plants as well as for animal science, it is important to protect wild gene pools and to continue sequencing genetic resources to unveil the potential of genetic resources.
Download a copy of the report from EASAC.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Urgent Action Needed to Combat Fast-spreading Pests and Diseases that Harm Food Security
- Plant and Animal Innovation Experts Discuss Practical Strategies to Advance Plant Breeding
- African Agri Researchers Trained on Science Communication
- Research Team from US, China, and France Releases Genome Sequence of Bottle Gourd
- Plant Biologist Wins the 2018 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences
- Genes from Drought Resistant Plants Could Help Create Water Efficient Crops
- Researchers Discover Gene for Flowering also Directs Root Growth in Wheat and Barley
- Study Shows that Golden Rice Could Benefit Bangladesh
- USDA FAS Releases Annual Agbiotech Report for Japan
- Glyphosate Gets 5-Year Renewal in the European Union
- European Science Academies Call for Urgent Action on Food and Nutrition Security
- Arabidopsis Elongator Genes Enhance Disease Resistance in Strawberry
- miR172c and NNC1 Regulate Root Plastic Development in Response to Salt Stress in Soybean
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas9 and TALENs Used to Generate Mutants for Studying Small RNA in Legumes
- Biotech Country Facts and Trends
Subscribe to CBU: