Canadian Consumers First to Taste Commercialized GE SalmonAugust 9, 2017
Genetically engineered salmon has finally reached the dinner table after over 25 years of long wait since its first application for Food and Drugs Administration approval. According to its developer, AquaBounty Technologies, they have sold about 4.5 tons of GE salmon in Canada as of August 4, 2017.
GE salmon is a variety of Atlantic salmon that needs half the time (18 months only) of its non-GE counterpart to grow. According to AquaBounty's chief executive, Ron Stotish, they sold the first commercial batch for US$5.30/lb ($11.70/kg). "I think the larger market is viewing it as a more predictable, sustainable source of salmon," Stotish added. "As a first sale, this was very positive and encouraging for us."
Read the news release from Nature.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenya Approves Field Trials of Biotech Corn and Cotton
- Innate® 2nd Gen Potato Receives Government Clearance in Canada
- Genomic Study Shows Maize Adapted to Highlands 4,000 Years Ago
- PH Bureau of Plant Industry Invites Public Comments on Golden Rice
- Turkey Approves Four More Biotech Traits
- EFSA Releases Risk Assessment of New Sequencing Information on GM Soybean Events
- GM Plants Promise Fish Oils Aplenty
- Transcription Factor JUNGBRUNNEN1 Enhances Drought Tolerance in Tomato
- Overexpression of OsNRT2.3b Improves Phosphorus Uptake and Translocation in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Evaluation of HvPAPhy_a Gene in Barley Using CRISPR-Cas9 and TALENs
- CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Engineering of the γ-Aminobutyric Acid Pathway in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Canadian Consumers First to Taste Commercialized GE Salmon
From the BICs
- SINO-Pak Hybrid Rice Research Center Inaugurated at ICCBS
- Science In Real Life: GMOs with the Van Eck Lab
- ISAAA Releases New Pocket K on CRISPR-Cas9
Subscribe to CBU: