PH Bureau of Plant Industry Invites Public Comments on Golden RiceAugust 9, 2017
The proposal for direct use of Golden Rice for food, feed, and processing is now under public comment in the Philippines.
The Public Information Sheet (PIS) on the proposal for the direct use as food and feed, or for processing of Golden Rice was published in the July 26 issue of Manila Standard. The application for biosafety permit was submitted by the Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) and the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in February 2017. The Bureau of Plant Industry is accepting comments on the proposal for 60 days since its publication.
"GR2E rice is intended to complement existing vitamin A deficiency control efforts, such as food fortification, vitamin A supplements, and dietary diversification, by supplying up to 30–50 percent of the estimated average requirement for vitamin A for preschool age children and pregnant or lactating mothers," according to the PIS.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenya Approves Field Trials of Biotech Corn and Cotton
- Innate® 2nd Gen Potato Receives Government Clearance in Canada
- Genomic Study Shows Maize Adapted to Highlands 4,000 Years Ago
- PH Bureau of Plant Industry Invites Public Comments on Golden Rice
- Turkey Approves Four More Biotech Traits
- EFSA Releases Risk Assessment of New Sequencing Information on GM Soybean Events
- GM Plants Promise Fish Oils Aplenty
- Transcription Factor JUNGBRUNNEN1 Enhances Drought Tolerance in Tomato
- Overexpression of OsNRT2.3b Improves Phosphorus Uptake and Translocation in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Evaluation of HvPAPhy_a Gene in Barley Using CRISPR-Cas9 and TALENs
- CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Engineering of the γ-Aminobutyric Acid Pathway in Tomato
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Canadian Consumers First to Taste Commercialized GE Salmon
From the BICs
- SINO-Pak Hybrid Rice Research Center Inaugurated at ICCBS
- Science In Real Life: GMOs with the Van Eck Lab
- ISAAA Releases New Pocket K on CRISPR-Cas9
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (September 21, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (September 21, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (August 31, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: