Kenya Approves Field Trials of Biotech Corn and CottonAugust 9, 2017
The National Biosafety Authority of Kenya approved the applications for National Performance Trials (NPTs) of biotech corn and cotton, which will commence in October 2017. This was announced by NBA managing director, Willy Tonui, after a meeting with stakeholders, including Kenya Agricultural Livestock and Research Organisation (KALRO) and African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) who previously received permits for field trials but were stopped by Health Secretary Dr. Cleopa Mailu.
"Just recently, we had a discussion with Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) and I now want to confirm that we have the guidelines required for the release of biotech maize for field trials and there is no reason why NPTs should not start soon," said Dr. Tonui. He also mentioned that they had already reached an agreement on biotech cotton and that it would be rolled out in the next planting season.
Read more from BIO SmartBrief and Business Daily Africa.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenya Approves Field Trials of Biotech Corn and Cotton
- Innate® 2nd Gen Potato Receives Government Clearance in Canada
- Genomic Study Shows Maize Adapted to Highlands 4,000 Years Ago
- PH Bureau of Plant Industry Invites Public Comments on Golden Rice
- Turkey Approves Four More Biotech Traits
- EFSA Releases Risk Assessment of New Sequencing Information on GM Soybean Events
- GM Plants Promise Fish Oils Aplenty
- Transcription Factor JUNGBRUNNEN1 Enhances Drought Tolerance in Tomato
- Overexpression of OsNRT2.3b Improves Phosphorus Uptake and Translocation in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Canadian Consumers First to Taste Commercialized GE Salmon
From the BICs
- SINO-Pak Hybrid Rice Research Center Inaugurated at ICCBS
- Science In Real Life: GMOs with the Van Eck Lab
- ISAAA Releases New Pocket K on CRISPR-Cas9
- Evaluation of HvPAPhy_a Gene in Barley Using CRISPR-Cas9 and TALENs
- CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Engineering of the γ-Aminobutyric Acid Pathway in Tomato
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (March 15, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (March 8, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: