Iloilo Stakeholders Informed about New Biosafety Regulations in PHOctober 5, 2016
Over 170 farmers, students, professors, and other stakeholders attended the public briefing and symposium about the Joint Department Circular on biotech crops and biosafety on September 28, 2016 at the Sarabia Manor Hotel and Convention Center, Iloilo City.
West Visayas State University professor, Stephen Sabinay, gave an overview of biotechnology and GM crops. Ms. Julieta Fe Estacio, Head Secretariat of the National Committee on Biosafety of the Philippines (NCBP), and Ms. Merle Palacpac, Chief of the Plant Quarantine Service of the Bureau of Plant Industry, introduced the new Philippine regulatory system for GM crops to the public, highlighting the differences of the old and new guidelines. After the lectures, an open forum with a panel of resource persons from the Department of Health, Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Department of Interior and Local Government, Department of Agriculture, and Department of Science and Technology tackled issues on the new regulations and GM crops. Drs. Fernando Bernardo and Rex Navarro of the Coalition for Agriculture Modernization in the Philippines (CAMP) discussed about agricultural modernization and climate smart agriculture, respectively.
The event was organized by the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture - Biotechnology Information Center (SEARCA BIC), in collaboration with CAMP and the Department of Agriculture.
For more details, visit the SEARCA BIC website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Transform Agriculture to Address Global Challenges
- Uganda Holds Banana Research Training for African Scientists and Biotechnology Regulators
- Researchers Modify Yeast to Show How Plants Respond to Auxin
- US Congress Ratifies Historic Global Food Security Treaty
- GM Maize MIR162 Harvested in Large Scale Field Trial in Vinh Phuc, Vietnam
- Conference Tackles Legal Obligations and Compensation on Biosafety Regulations in Vietnam
- Iloilo Stakeholders Informed about New Biosafety Regulations in PH
- Seminar at EU Parliament Tackles GM Crops Concerns
- Bt Maize Has No Effect on Population Dynamics of an Endophytic Bacterial Community
- OsLPR Genes Play Roles in Maintaining Phosphate Homeostasis in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Complete Fruit Fly Genome
- 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine Goes to Autophagy Researcher
- Infographic: How GMOs and Sustainable Farming Practices Can Improve Air Quality
- Germ-line-Specific CRISPR-Cas9 Systems Improve the Production of Heritable Gene Mutations in Arabidopsis
- Gene Replacements and Insertions in Rice via Intron-Targeting CRISPR
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: