GM Maize MIR162 Harvested in Large Scale Field Trial in Vinh Phuc, VietnamOctober 5, 2016
Plant Protection Research Institute and Syngenta Vietnam Co. Ltd. coordinated the harvest of Bt maize event MIR162 in a large scale field trial in Vinh Phuc. Vinh Phuc is one of four large scale field trial sites of MIR162 approved by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD).
The field trials started in March 2016 with the following objectives:
- assess possible impacts of GM maize event MIR162 to biodiversity and environment through survey and evaluation of non-target organism populations diversity;
- evaluate bio-agricultural traits and yield of the tested varieties in comparison with the non-GM control; and
- analyze the insect resistance of the tested varieties in comparison with the non-GM control.
The harvest and field trial were carried out under the supervision of representatives of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, MARD, agricultural agencies in Vinh Phuc Province, Science and Technology Information Center of the Vinh Phuc, and the Department of Science and Technology.
For more information, read the news (in Vietnamese) from the Department of Biodiversity Conservation.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Transform Agriculture to Address Global Challenges
- Uganda Holds Banana Research Training for African Scientists and Biotechnology Regulators
- Researchers Modify Yeast to Show How Plants Respond to Auxin
- US Congress Ratifies Historic Global Food Security Treaty
- GM Maize MIR162 Harvested in Large Scale Field Trial in Vinh Phuc, Vietnam
- Conference Tackles Legal Obligations and Compensation on Biosafety Regulations in Vietnam
- Iloilo Stakeholders Informed about New Biosafety Regulations in PH
- Seminar at EU Parliament Tackles GM Crops Concerns
- Bt Maize Has No Effect on Population Dynamics of an Endophytic Bacterial Community
- OsLPR Genes Play Roles in Maintaining Phosphate Homeostasis in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Germ-line-Specific CRISPR-Cas9 Systems Improve the Production of Heritable Gene Mutations in Arabidopsis
- Gene Replacements and Insertions in Rice via Intron-Targeting CRISPR
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Complete Fruit Fly Genome
- 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine Goes to Autophagy Researcher
- Infographic: How GMOs and Sustainable Farming Practices Can Improve Air Quality
Subscribe to CBU: