FAO: Transform Agriculture to Address Global ChallengesOctober 5, 2016
José Graziano da Silva, Director General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), said that the agricultural sector must transform itself not only to achieve food and nutrition security for all, but also to help address global challenges such as climate change and antimicrobial resistance.
Speaking at the biannual meeting of FAO's Committee on Agriculture on September 26, 2016 at the FAO Headquarters in Rome, the Director General noted how "agriculture is at the very heart" of a recent series of ground-breaking international agreements, including the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Change Agreement.
Another keynote speaker, Joachim von Braun, Director of University of Bonn's Center for Development Research, underscored the need for scientific innovation in agriculture to go hand-in-hand with policy reform. He told participants that an International Panel on Food, Nutrition, and Agriculture should be established to assist the international community.
For more details, read the news release at the FAO website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO: Transform Agriculture to Address Global Challenges
- Uganda Holds Banana Research Training for African Scientists and Biotechnology Regulators
- Researchers Modify Yeast to Show How Plants Respond to Auxin
- US Congress Ratifies Historic Global Food Security Treaty
- GM Maize MIR162 Harvested in Large Scale Field Trial in Vinh Phuc, Vietnam
- Conference Tackles Legal Obligations and Compensation on Biosafety Regulations in Vietnam
- Iloilo Stakeholders Informed about New Biosafety Regulations in PH
- Seminar at EU Parliament Tackles GM Crops Concerns
- Bt Maize Has No Effect on Population Dynamics of an Endophytic Bacterial Community
- OsLPR Genes Play Roles in Maintaining Phosphate Homeostasis in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Germ-line-Specific CRISPR-Cas9 Systems Improve the Production of Heritable Gene Mutations in Arabidopsis
- Gene Replacements and Insertions in Rice via Intron-Targeting CRISPR
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Sequence Complete Fruit Fly Genome
- 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine Goes to Autophagy Researcher
- Infographic: How GMOs and Sustainable Farming Practices Can Improve Air Quality
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 10, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (August 10, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: